Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In a few years the Striper catagory on our forum will not exist.

Default In a few years the Striper catagory on our forum will not exist.

I just got an email from a friend who has some insider info on the planned demise of the Striped Bass population on the West Coast of the United States.

The AG / Water folk$ along with pre$$ure from the Commercial Salmon lobbyists, they have categorized the Striped Bass as a non-indigenous invasive species in their minds.

The FFW and the CA DF&W has secretly designed a 3 part plan to eliminate the Striped Bass population:

Phase 1) Do everything to eliminate the spawning population of large female Stripers by doing things like allowing spear fishing for them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...g+striped+bass

Phase 2) Eliminate the daily bag limit on Stripers.

Phase 3) Eliminate the minimum size of fish taken.

*With the third world population we have on the West Coast they feel that they will eat every last one.

** This is just a rumor but I think it is really happening.

***Clouser sales should really drop off sharply.

**** Striper guides need to do some adjusting too.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'm glad I grew up when I did where I did and enjoyed a truly fantastic striper fishery in Lake Mendocino in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Also have enjoyed catching the stripers here since moving here 7 years ago.

This country is changing. I am not optimistic as to what it is changing into.

Matt,

Any chance you went to school in Ukiah? My wife's family is from all around there. Having their class reunion at the club house on Lake Mendocino.

I used to like fishing the lake when we were in the area. They used to plant stripers there regularly too.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Yeah Tony my wife and I and all of our brothers and sisters on both sides attended UHS from the 80s into the 90s
    3 sisters one brother in my side 2 brothers 2 girls on her side.
    If your wife graduated in the 80s or 90s I'm sure I would know the name.

Sorry Matt, My wife graduated there in 1966. According to my brother-in-law fishing at Mendocino was really good for stripers back then.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Default The Trouble....

with these type of rumors is the breadth of the proposed action:

"I just got an email from a friend who has some insider info on the planned demise of the Striped Bass population on the West Coast of the United States."

Com'on I'll bet the originator meant the Delta but in the event they did mean the entire coast, that action is probably not possible even in California, let alone the entire west coast of the US. Stripers are caught in all of the CVP/SWP canals and all of the reservoirs connected to them plus a few reservoirs that aren't connected. Not to mention the ocean. The same is true about Black Bass, sunnies and bait fish species.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I really appreciate the info and education on this message Board. I come from where stripers are native and am a native fish aficionado. My original knee-jerk regarding stripers was "Get em outta here, they are screwing with the salmon and steelies. Take a trip to the east coast to experience them." And also at the very least "Eat 'em up, they're here as a meat fish." While I still condone eating them to an extent, they are yummy, a better understanding of the politics with the water and the stripers being a pawn in this huge game between water interests, as well as the consideration that "It's the (lack of) water stupid that is causing the declines and not inter species competition" has been very valuable to me.
    So.. Thanks everyone!!

Matt: check your messages.

Darian got it right. Unless the habitat is completely enclosed, like a man-made lake, it's nearly impossible for the complete eradication of a species.

This is officially only a rumor but I have felt that the government has wanted to keep down the Striper population for several reasons.

One, the salmon interests.

Two, the water barons.

I do think it would be very hard to eliminate the Striped Bass population.

This is maybe why we have not been able to get a 'slot limit' which would really help out.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........