Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Davis Coyotes...Beware

Default Lake Davis Coyotes...Beware

Just a note to you dog owners fishing the shore line at Lake Davis with your dogs...I ran into a friend yesterday on the way in who told me he'd seen a lady walking her three labs around Cow Creek South when all of a sudden 3 or 4 good sized coyotes came out of the trees and went after her dogs. He went on to say to his amazement she pulled out a hand gun and popped of 3 or 4 rounds which sent the coyotes running.

He was a good hundred yards away at the head of the cove...he called 911 on his cell and reported it to F&W. My friend said he could hear several more coyotes back in the trees. I'm at a total loss trying to figure this out, yes I've heard of coyotes going after small dogs but to go after 3 good sized dogs like this, if this was actually the case, certainly isn't the norm.

I fish the shore quite a bit with my dog running free, we were at this same spot just a couple days ago and I did hear the coyotes, which I enjoy, I never dreamed a coyote would chance injury going after a larger dog.

So just a word of warning, keep a close eye on your dogs. You never know what they might get into.

On the fishing side of things I fished the north end of the lake, same spot you fished Gene. The damsel hatch is still coming off strong...with fish coming up right & left. Very, very, very selective! Water temps reached 70 degrees. Not many people out, especially with this 4th of July weekend!

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Coyotes are bastards! They will attack anything they can. We are up in the Tahoe basin and it is quite the norm for them preying on cats, dogs and like you said....sometimes larger dogs. SHoot them at will IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Coyotes are bastards! They will attack anything they can. We are up in the Tahoe basin and it is quite the norm for them preying on cats, dogs and like you said....sometimes larger dogs. SHoot them at will IMO!
    I once saw a coyote, in January, at Heavenly Valley ski area near the top of the mountain putting a stalk on a fallen skier!!

I've shared this story with Pete many times, but the board really needs to hear this in regards to the coyotes. About 8 years ago, Madison and I walked down to the lake from the Freeman creek access road. It's been shortened due to Sandhill cranes nesting in the area for decades, so it's a long walk to water. As we walked down the beaten cattle path a female coyote appeared just 40 feet away to the north, pacing us. Madison ran over and bullied the coyote by biting her on the ass then coming back to my side. He's done this with bears too! The female coyote kept at 40 feet away and paced us out to the main meadow. Upon arriving in the open grasslands I looked north and counted seven heads looking in our direction. I knew then the game they were playing, trying to lure Madison into the pack for consumption. We fished for 5 hours off the north Freeman arm and upon returning they were waiting for us, but did not make a move. A Queensland Heeler is not your normal dog, and I believe those coyotes knew that. Madison also did a damn good job keeping the cattle away, Pete... you would know all about that.

Bottom line....get a Queensland Heeler, and you'll have no worries. The breed is badass. - J.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 07-02-2016 at 07:41 PM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post

I've shared this story with Pete many times, but the board really needs to hear this in regards to the coyotes. About 8 years ago, Madison and I walked down to the lake from the Freeman creek access road. It's been shortened due to Sandhill cranes nesting in the area for decades, so it's a long walk to water. As we walked down the beaten cattle path a female coyote appeared just 40 feet away to the north, pacing us. Madison ran over and bullied the coyote by biting her on the ass then coming back to my side. He's done this with bears too! The female coyote kept at 40 feet away and paced us out to the main meadow. Upon arriving in the open grasslands I looked north and counted seven heads looking in our direction. I knew then the game they were playing, trying to lure Madison into the pack for consumption. We fished for 5 hours off the north Freeman arm and upon returning they were waiting for us, but did not make a move. A Queensland Heeler is not your normal dog, and I believe those coyotes knew that. Madison also did a damn good job keeping the cattle away, Pete... you would know all about that.

Bottom line....get a Queensland Heeler, and you'll have no worries. The breed is badass. - J.
    One of my best dogs... Blue heeler!! Loyal and fearless, jumping off cliffs into the river after me and diving like a duck to get his frisbee 6' down off the river bottom! They are a bad ass bread John !

There's no other dog I can think of I'd rather have by my side in the event of running into a 1200 lb bull or a threatening black bear than Madison. Old Madie, all 40 plus pounds of him, had no fear. He happily cleared the way, tail wagging. With that irrepressible bark of his, particularly whenever Jon had a fish on, he not only let me know where Jon was fishing but if he was into fish! He was quite the, as we called him, the trout dog.

My goal here is not to promote wiping out the entire coyote population but rather to make people aware of a possible problem. My own experience with coyotes over the years, and I've seen and heard lots of them, is they're very timid creatures. I've enjoyed watching them numerous times hunt and pounce on voles and mice in open meadows. And all those early mornings and late evenings out on the lake hearing the coyotes, sandhill cranes and loons does my soul well.

I have a feeling what my friend saw, at quite some distance as I pointed out earlier, and told me may not have been the actual story. I think it's much more likely that this lady's three labs actually found the coyotes and went after them and this was when she fired the shots to prevent injury to her dogs. I don't think my friend was trying to embellish the story by saying it was the coyotes that went after the dogs but was rather interpreting the sequence of events incorrectly. Who knows? But you can bet I'll be that much more careful with my dog when I'm out there and not let him range out quite as far as I have in the past. Wildlife is for me a big part of the fly fishing experience but it sure doesn't hurt to be cautious when conditions warrant it.

Now fishing this morning.....I got my butt kicked!!! Fish working in every direction off the tip of cow and I couldn't find one dumb enough to take my fly. I threw just about everything and gave them my best...I just can't believe with my experience and the numbers I left skunked!!! But it was a beautiful morning and even though it's harder to explain I'd much rather get skunked fishing to working fish than just fishing water. I let Woody run and I'm happy to report no coyote problems. All in all a good day.

Great shot of Madison Jonny...I still expect to hear him barking when I'm out at the lake.

Pete

Aka...FeatherRiverSam
    Last edited by FRSam; 07-03-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

I never take my dogs anywhere because they're small and easy targets, plus if they didn't get attacked by anything I'd spend 3 days chasing them all over the country side.

I've also never seen a coyote from anywhere other than my car. I walk nature trails and areas all the time and haven't seen one, only the occasional prints but I know they're out there.

If you bring an animal to their territory...they are on the menu.
    That's nature...not bastards.
    We see signs up all over....
    Have you seen this cat/dog?
    Locals know what happened.
    No different than a cougar eating me while fishing. Should we remove all the kitties so I can fish peacefully? Hell no.
    It's game on in the mountains.
    You've been warned.......
    It gets old honestly...
    keep them indoors, on a leash, or left home for safety. I did see a dog lured by a female coyote one day...a pack was waiting nearby licking their chops.
    Voice comand almost didn't work....I watched his hesitation....masters voice vs. A Hottie......in season. His master never even knew...
    Neither do we like dogs barking and chasing other critters. It's really their home right?

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 07-07-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

We had plenty of coyotes in our neighborhood for nearly 30 years without any problems. We had pets and livestock but with a modicum of effort kept them from becoming meals. A guy from the Bay Area built a summer cabin on a lot down the road and before the "cabin" was even finished he started shooting the coyotes to "protect his dogs and children". There was only one bastard in this scenario.

I have absolutely no pity for the person who puts his pet in a position where it can be killed by a wild animal. Don't blame the coyote for being a coyote, blame the human for acting like a moron.

Once, while camping at Lightning Tree, I had a pack of coyotes start up a howling session just outside of my tent at 3am. Quite the wake-up call! It was probably 2 or 3 coyotes but it sounded like thousands of 'em.

I figured I must have lured them in with my snoring as it probably sounded like a dying moose.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb