Thread: Clouser critique

Default Clouser critique

Just started tying and it's been a lot of fun. Caught my first stripers on my own flies last week.

I've done about a dozen or so and curious if you guys could critique my fly for improvement. I feel like my over wings might be to long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	12090

Views:	385 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	12091

I like to tie my clousers more sparsely. Less is better. However, your fly will work well.

I have to disagree with FISHEYE (real name?) Everybody likes what works for them. I think your flies look great and if you've already taken a few stripers on them, why change?

I personally like a fuller fly as it pushes more water and is more visible in murky waters. I even call my ties FULL DRESSED Clousers. I like the wet fly to have the shape of an "eye" as all fish have. All fish have white bellies with darker backs. You're good there too, and chartreuse really shows well everywhere for back material. The last thing I like is what Dan Blanton showed me,,, use light blue Krystal Flash as to top material over the back. Blue colors have the longest color range of any color out there and a little of that over the back just adds one more dimension to the fly's attraction.

Lastly, make sure your tail material (Flashabou) extends past the end of the body at least an inch. This allows wiggle and really makes the fly look like a bait swimming. Another dimension that adds to the appeal of a fish's senses.

Chasin Fin (I'd like to call you by your real name), you're doing great and if this is just getting started, you'll be another striper addict in no time
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Curious,
    When you guys use these jig hooks, do you get more brain/eye damage on the smaller fish? For some reason that is on my mind lately. I was up in AK saltwater Dolly fishing and the clousers we used tore the heck out of those fish. I ended up stopping fishing. Those were straight eye, btw.
    Thanks and sorry for the thread hijack

Thanks guys. I'll try tying so with a bit less material and see how they swim. Good tip on the flash tony! I'll give that a try. I used the first fly today on the American and the fish didn't seem to mind! Fun catching fish on your own flies as it just adds another em element to the game.

Going to try tying up some bluegill patterns for the delta.

Thanks, Ryan

Great combo of color for the A.R. But you can go a little skinnier for the clear water of
    the A.R. The large eyes will definitely make it bounce.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Thumbs up Flashtail Clouser....

Chasing' Fin,.... Those clousers look good. When tying in materials for a long flashtail, apply an adhesive (Flexament is my choice) to the first half or full inch of flat material beyond the bend of the hook and allow it to dry before tying in the rest of the tail. It helps in keeping the flash tail from wrapping the hook while casting.

John SV,.... My personal experience with hooking fish while using jig hooks is that they seldom seem to hook deep enough to hurt the fish. Of course, there has been a few instances where a small, aggressive Striper took the large fly deep and was not releasable but that hasn't happened as often as it did when using "J" style hooks. Depending on the pattern, I still tie/use both styles of hook.
    Last edited by Darian; 07-03-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Chasin Fin View Post
    Just started tying and it's been a lot of fun. Caught my first stripers on my own flies last week.

I've done about a dozen or so and curious if you guys could critique my fly for improvement. I feel like my over wings might be to long.

Views:	397 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	12090

Views:	385 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	12091
    Hey Buddy,

Your flies look great. especially since you already proved that they work.

The only thing you might want to improve or ad is a few large hackles on the front, Like Dan Blanton does, that will make the fly push more water without making the fly harder to cast....Good luck

Carl Blackledge

Thanks everyone. I'll try and tie some up even more sparse! and great tip on the flash material, i haven't had a problem with it tangling yet but have had the top wing tangle a bit and get lopsided at times which takes some resetting to have the fly track true. Fun catching them on your own flies, now just need time to hit the water.