Thread: Jim Zech on the Truckee River.........

Default Jim Zech on the Truckee River.........

Great dry fly fishing on the Truckee yesterday afternoon: two 20"+ browns, one 17" brown, and one 16" and one 12" rainbow.

Michelle got a 19" brown and broke one off that she said was "scary big".

So no one else go fish the Truckee until I get to go back up at least two more times, OK?

Saw this on Jim Zech's FaceBook page....remember, he is a very good fly fisher.

Go now......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brown.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	12072

Was out on the Truckee the same time as Jim. Its been really good. Yellow Sallies, PMD's, Drakes, etc. You name it. You have to work and I don't fish next to the popular pullouts. Have fun.

Default Truckee Dry Fly Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Great dry fly fishing on the Truckee yesterday afternoon: two 20"+ browns, one 17" brown, and one 16" and one 12" rainbow.

Michelle got a 19" brown and broke one off that she said was "scary big".
    Bill----Nice session of dry fly fishing on the BT. Is Jim Zeck the well-known fly angler from the east-coast or someone regionally known?

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS---where was fishing done?
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 06-26-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Jim has been Reping in the area.....use to work at Fly Fishing Specialties for decades.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The jim I know works at fly fishing specialities. I call him my little creek guru. Has helped me a lot on some remote locations.
    My brown was in canyon area of big T. Pretty much the only stretch I fish. One piece of advice I can give. Pick your times wisely. Most of my fish were caught in a window when the sun went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Is Jim Zeck the well-known fly angler from the east-coast?
    ?
    Jim Zech is a lounge singer from Las Vegas who dabbles in the paranormal and is a part time guide who "works" occasionally at FFS. Some time ago Lisa showed him the finer points of fishing the Truckee by backing her raft over a 90 year old member of Fly Casters.

Picked up a two foot brown on a carpenter ant dry in early June. 12 in the afternoon. I shared this info with a few of the guys at Specialties. Might have been the impetus for Jim coming up, or maybe Jim just felt like going up and fishing the Truckee cause it's awesome. Either way, his timing was perfect and yea, Jim is a helluva nice guy and a great dry angler. Appreciative of the classic methods.

Name:	DSCN5368-2 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	12105

Here's a fun story

Maybe 10-12 years ago when I was working at the Truckee shop, a fellow came in an asked if there was any water nearby where he could catch a fish. I told him "the river is right across the street, but most of the people fish further downstream, I think to get away from the buildings, but the downtown can fish great too. " he asked about flies, I told him "ants can work great that time of year, whether dry or drowned." and promptly sold him some Cutter Perfect ants. He came in two days later to thank me, and showed me a picture of a 29" brown he had landed across the street, mid day. One of the biggest dry fly fish I've seen from the area, a bit thicker then my buddy Justin Olsons 29" fish he picked up on a Skwala west of Reno, maybe 8 years ago or so. I don't have that guys shot from across the street, although here's a pic of Justins fish, from an age before wide angle lenses and holding the fish 6 inches from the camera to make it look bigger.

Name:	43.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	12106

Bruce Ajari, an awesome local angler and author picked up a 26-27" fish along Glenshire with a drake a few years back. Arlo Townsends mouse brown he got in Reno before the drought, is probably the biggest on the surface I've seen from the area, a big grey brown around 30-32".Not exactly the Truckee, but my old roommate Scott Taylor also picked up a big brown from Boca in the high 20s/low 30s on a dry. Right on the dam face in mid winter, strangely enough, on a skwala dry.

The Truckee is an amazing river, if you time it right and get lucky you can get some titanic fish on the surface, especially these days when every angler is tightlining and bobber fishing, it seems like they're more gullible to stuff up top then they were in the past when dry flies were a more common method.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 07-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Dan, love the history of the truckee. That lad who landed the big city brown might have hung it up after that. I'm still in the high teens on a truckee rainbow hitting a dry. Double Dutch bug from mtn hardware. The truckee is a gem and for most it's in your backyard. Thanks for sharing Dan.

Here's a shot of Scott's dry fly brown from Boca. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	12164
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Default Seasons

If we are bragging big truckee trout on dries, I advise February and March mid afternoon. Watch the temp gauge like a hawk, and fish the peak temp time after walking a bit. There is nothing like a little warmer water early season to get some big ones active on top, and some days, big one after big one. They like stones, although my biggest (28" taped) was actually sipping bwos on top. Still surprised by that.