Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Deer Creek 4/5

Default Wanted: Deer Creek 4/5

Wondering if anyone has the TFO Deer Creek 4/5 spey rod that they would be willing to let me cast. I have the 6/7 and love the action of that rod but I'm in search of a lighter rod for shad and halfpounders. Thanks!

Tight lines,
    Gary

Gary,
    I've been using a 4/5 switch rod for the shad lately (with an intermediate scandi head), and loving it! Even a 3/4 switch works pretty well IF the wind isn't too bad...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Gary,
    I've been using a 4/5 switch rod for the shad lately (with an intermediate scandi head), and loving it! Even a 3/4 switch works pretty well IF the wind isn't too bad...
    JB
    Nice JB! Love my 4wt Spey with a full intermediate Scandi for Shad, lighter tackle is fun! Great for the half pounders and summers too!

Jason, I've been fishing for them with my ACR 1073 proto that Steve Godshall built but have yet to hook up with one on that rod. I am still trying to figure out a skagit setup that will work on that rod but haven't been too successful. I'm almost ready to say screw it and just accept it as a Scandi rod. That puppy comes alive when I throw the 265gr Scandi that Steve built for it. I think a more powerful, full on spey rod will get me fishing the right head/tips to effectively get down to the shad. Really hoping someone on here has the 4/5 that would be willing to let me cast it.... or if Mark Kranhold would just give me his 4wt

I haven't tried an outbound yet. I think the issue I am running into is finding a head that is heavy enough (sufficient mass) to turn over 10' of T8 (80gr) without the added weight of the sinktip overloading the rod and collapsing the blank on the forward stroke, therefore blowing the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I haven't tried an outbound yet. I think the issue I am running into is finding a head that is heavy enough (sufficient mass) to turn over 10' of T8 (80gr) without the added weight of the sinktip overloading the rod and collapsing the blank on the forward stroke, therefore blowing the cast.
    Gary, you really don't need a skagit type head to get flies deeper. Not that there is anything wrong with going that route, but just know that it isn't the only option for doing so. The skagit type lines (and outbound short) lines are great for turnover (bigger, heavier flies), but if you don't have to toss big stuff you can gain depth by using sinking scandi lines with or without sinking poly leaders, or DC tips. If you can swing it, adding a 15' extra fast sinking poly leader will get pretty deep (especially with an intermediate head!).

The reason I went with an intermediate scandi for shad was that I knew I would only be using smaller flies, and I just didn't really feel the need to get into the added mass if I didn't need it. There's almost always more than one way to skin a cat (or hook a fish). I suppose it also comes down to what casting style you prefer; in recent times I've really grown more and more fond and proficient with the touch and go casts (single spey and snake roll), so the slightly longer (and lighter) head and tip works well for that. Food for thought.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Although I haven't tried an intermediate scandi, I do prefer casting a scandi over casting a skagit. They feel so much more rewarding when you send one out and watch it fly in a nice tight loop that lays out perfectly and settles on the water. Skagits work grear but are so damn clunky. I'd love to be able to get away with fishing scandis exclusively but I don't think that's really a possibility for me right now.

Nobody has a 4/5 that would be willing to let me cast???

Just itching and twitching for a new rod!

You know it, Mark!