Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spearfishing the American River

Default CSBA

"Steelies",.... After reading the WA letter, agree that CSBA did endorse spearfishing for Striper in fresh/salt water. However, if you read the two prior sentences, CSBA members, "....showed up at the discussion meetings sometimes 400 at a time." That indicates to me that their endorsement could be modified or withdrawn with some effort. Also, CSBA is not the only organization around that might have an interest in this type of effort.

Short of making proposals to the commission to change this regulation, there's still the potential for approaching the Sacramento County Council with a proposed clarification to close the supposed "loop hole" allowing disassembling and reassembly of spears on the parkway to attempt to avoid a citation. This proposal could specifically ban that activity making the job of law enforcement easier. The impact of this change on the American River might be the reduction of the number of spearos upriver.

Realize, this is an emotional subject for everyone but if changing this situation is the choice, we need to recognize that many spearos are, also, fly and hook/line fisherman. They and Salmon/Steelhead above anything else crowd may/will oppose or at least not support this activity. So, it seems to me that an effort like this will need to include an educational component to "sell" the benefits of whatever our proposal(s) will be.

In reading the WA letter, it's evident that they approached their proposed change in an organized and reasonable fashion, and kept at it over the course of year(s). This type of effort would require time and won't be easy and unlike the spearfishers proposal, any attempt to modify or repeal the F&W regulation would be opposed.

Anyway, SeanO thanks for your support....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Meeting Location for California Striped Bass Asssociation: Next meeting is 7/20/16 See you there!
    CK Grill and Bar
    14725 Harlan Rd.
    Lathrop CA 95330
    209-983-8881

Meeting Date and Time:
    Third Wednesday of each Month at 6:30 p.m.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I remember when JD published that and I commended him for it.

I have now gone back 3+ years later... and read all the comments.

The comments reinforce what I have known for a LONG time... We no longer have a responsible government agency to represent the interest of our fish and wildlife OR for our rights to responsibly fish and hunt.

This is why, after working for and with the CA Dept. of Fish and Game, during my post-college career, I decided I clearly could not pursue a career with such a lame f-ck-ng agency~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DqeW-BNg50#t=64.187786

This does not look very sporting.....or difficult.

Looks like commercial fishing?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........