Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing the American River

Behind all, you'll find the "water guys"........getting rid of the fish and specially the ones that reproduce (all big females and males) will make everything a lot easier. When there will be little or nothing to protect, allocating water will be an easy job. "Using" the spearguys to "clean up" the river from fish is pure "planning". Years back they even proposed to eliminate stripers size and limit. There is no civilize country in the world that allows spearfishing in the rivers......specially the ones with salmon. The CDFW is going along because the "orders" come from up above. As a matter in fact, they tried to do something about it enforcing the "no gun rule in the parks" and were quickly "discouraged" by the "higher authorities". Unfortunately, we live in a world of lobbies and private interests.
    Glad to see some other folks on here who understand this... and it goes far wider and deeper than this.

Unfortunately, greedy, self-serving, egotistical people will use whatever argument they can to rationalize their behaviors. Ironically,they are parroting the lines of reasoning used by Westlands Water District, MWD, agribusiness and politicians who are trying to convince the public that the delta tunnels are a good idea... and in the end, if they are successful in so doing... we ALL (fly guys, gear guys, spearos, CNR guys and harvesters alike) will suffer because the delta watershed and ALL of its fisheries will be decimated.

There will not only be no more stripers but neither will there be any of the other anadromids (salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, shad) nor other pelagic fish species.

This month, a very important even is taking place. I hope many from this board will get involved.

SEE BELOW:
    THANKS
    MARK

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...4&e=253ba920dc

Jeff, the only way to stop this outrageous madness is by exposing this situation publicly in the local TV and newspapers, and also having the support of environmental associations like Sierra Club, Trout Unlimited, or any other of this kind who may have the possibility to place a lawsuit to save the stripers in the American river. Allowing spear fishing in a river is so outrageous that if we make it public it will expose the authorities responsible for it and may force them to reverse such a policy. I'm sure is some of us work together under "Kienes Save the American river Stripers" could make a difference.

Don't forget the Feather, and the Yuba, and the Sac. Rivers too. They all have populations of spawning stripers as well. And both the Sac and Feather have already had issues of blatant spearfishing here as well with little or no action taking place to stop this genocide.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

This is the reasons I don't give two turtle craps about spear guys/gals!!!!! They can eat some of this turtle crap if it where up to me!!!! They really need help! I mean how the heck is it they even manage to live life???????? I'm done because I don't want to get into it! But they really do need some kind of phsyc sessions! And even then I don't know if it will help!

One last statement. Spear aholes act like they care about conservation! Man this world is screwed up!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Cool California Striped Bass Association

Rather than endlessly complaining about this to no avail, why not at least try to work with a club/group of clubs/people of like mind who're interested in promoting conservation of Stripers; such as, the California Striped Bass Association. This entity has been around since 1974 and has an established membership. Numbers will count. Here's a quote from the History section of their website:

"....The CSBA is a non-profit organization to preserve, conserve and enhance striped bass while promoting recreational sport fishing, environmental awareness and good fellowship. CSBA is one of the largest and most active fishing clubs in California’s Central Valley."

Here's a link to their website:
    http://striper-csba.com/

Seems like a good place to start to gain support to build a proposal to the Fish & Game Commission to change the section of the code making spearfishing in rivers legal.

I'll bet there're other clubs/organizations out there (locally CFFU and GBFF) that might be interested in this effort. Remember, the spearfishing organization made their approach without fanfare or opposition. It won't be the same this time, expect opposition and prepare. Time to test the waters????
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Relying on hatcheries for native salmon and steelhead isn't the right way to think about their futures. The hatchery fish pass on weaker genetics than wild fish reproducing. That's a known fact. I'd take the health of salmon/steelhead over striper. Striper co mingling with salmon for only 140 yrs isn't a lot of time. Salmon and steelhead numbers have reduced while striper are consistent in numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark V View Post
    Thanks for posting Jeff.
    Where exactly on the river and time of day did you see the giant hens killed? Do you think they brought the spear gear from the bank? Did you talk to them? Get a picture? Were you in a boat or on the bank?

Mogaru- agreed the Agribiz folks want to wipe out all the sportfish to make it easier to take the rest of the water, and they've been at it for years vilifying stripers to divert blame away from themselves for the damage they've done to Salmon pops.

Sac County has a law (link) to protect the fish wildlife that forbids possession of spear gear anywhere in the parkway (river banks) . Last summer a senior Ranger told me they WILL enforce that law, so I urge you to keep the Sac Sheriff non-emergency phone # programmed in your phone. 916-874-5115

I believe the Ranger also told me it's possible to make a citizen's arrest for that--but I bet this comment will stir this topic up again, so I better call that Sgt Ranger again this week, and edit this post with a P.S.

Let's get these guys out of the shadows. Who are they? Let's introduce them to the Rangers. If I see 'em again I will def also get pics and try to find where they parked. We can find out in court if they need education, or just need to quit the illegal behavior. Let's get them fines and their gear confiscated.

It's actual legal if it's taken apart on shore and put together while you're in the water. There's a loop hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Relying on hatcheries for native salmon and steelhead isn't the right way to think about their futures. The hatchery fish pass on weaker genetics than wild fish reproducing. That's a known fact. I'd take the health of salmon/steelhead over striper. Striper co mingling with salmon for only 140 yrs isn't a lot of time. Salmon and steelhead numbers have reduced while striper are consistent in numbers.
    Whattttt, stripers are consistent in numbers........whatttttt......jajajajaja. Talk to the old timers who used to catch several "20 and #30 on a regular outing in the rivers and sfo bay. People make comments with such a gratuity. Stripers as well as steelhead and salmon lived together in harmony.The typical line/lie from the water boys, 'stripers are responsible for the decline of salmon and steelhead".

I'm going to repeat it again, so there is doubt about it "There is no "civilized country in the world that allows spear fishing in rivers" and the purpose and only goal of this policy is wiping out the stripers out of our rivers. The person o persons who allow such a criminal act against nature should have their pictures framed and subtitled "responsible for wiping the striper population from the northern california rivers".

On the American River, it is INDEED the right way to think about them because without the hatchery, there would be no significant runs of either.

Habitat loss/Nimbus Dam prevent even the POSSIBILITY of NATIVE salmon and steelhead on the AR PERIOD!