Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing the American River

Default Spearfishing the American River

So sad... I've seen several huge stripers (up to 35 lbs) fall victim to the spearfishermen in the last 3 weeks. 3 huge females killed last week alone by spearfishermen in less than two hours. Its hard to believe that people still think there is an endless supply of fish left especially after reading about the historic numbers that once thrived here... although I guess its easier to not educate ourselves and continue our destructive self-serving pathetic behavior. I've been fishing for over 35 years and after continuing to notice the numbers fish decline early in my fishing career and it didn't take long to figure out that I had to release the fish I caught if I wanted to keep fishing. This is not a plea to spearfishermen but instead a call to all fishermen... Please do not go fishing for your dinner (there is no need). There are simply too many hurdles for fish to get past including water issues and the lack of it, dams interfering with migration and spawning, poor ocean environment/lack of food & warm water, over harvesting/poaching and the continual drop in fish populations to justify the need to keep killing what little fish populations that are left. I hope we can change this before we all start saying... "I remember how good the fishing was back in the day... now there's nothing left".
    Uh oh... maybe its already too late. -JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Sounds like a sad state of affairs on the American river these days.

How can we let CDFW know that the practice is unsustainable?

Default Sustainable???

From past exchanges with CDFW staff, I believe they have all of the study info they need to conclude that Spearfishing for Stripers won't impact total population numbers. The main result will be that large Stripers will become scarce as they're long lived and take a long time to replace. But, as has been pointed out by others on this forum, there're plenty of small Stripers around, especially in the Delta.

in order to make spearfishing in rivers legal, the spearfishing organization approached CDFW/F&G Commission with their proposal. It was accepted without much fanfare or opposition. Maybe we'd have a better chance to change this by lobbying (as the spears did) CDFW to make spearfishing in the rivers illegal(??).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Good post Jeff , and agree a 100%. Thanks for the post!

Behind all, you'll find the "water guys"........getting rid of the fish and specially the ones that reproduce (all big females and males) will make everything a lot easier. When there will be little or nothing to protect, allocating water will be an easy job. "Using" the spearguys to "clean up" the river from fish is pure "planning". Years back they even proposed to eliminate stripers size and limit. There is no civilize country in the world that allows spearfishing in the rivers......specially the ones with salmon. The CDFW is going along because the "orders" come from up above. As a matter in fact, they tried to do something about it enforcing the "no gun rule in the parks" and were quickly "discouraged" by the "higher authorities". Unfortunately, we live in a world of lobbies and private interests.

Some body wants to eliminate all the Stripers......?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yes Bill, somebody wants to eliminate the stripers and they,ve been trying to do it for a long time always with the same argument ......they are not native fish..........they eat the salmon smolts................etc,etc. Fish is the obstacle to allocate more water.

Thanks for posting Jeff.
    Where exactly on the river and time of day did you see the giant hens killed? Do you think they brought the spear gear from the bank? Did you talk to them? Get a picture? Were you in a boat or on the bank?

Mogaru- agreed the Agribiz folks want to wipe out all the sportfish to make it easier to take the rest of the water, and they've been at it for years vilifying stripers to divert blame away from themselves for the damage they've done to Salmon pops.

Sac County has a law (link) to protect the fish wildlife that forbids possession of spear gear anywhere in the parkway (river banks) . Last summer a senior Ranger told me they WILL enforce that law, so I urge you to keep the Sac Sheriff non-emergency phone # programmed in your phone. 916-874-5115

I believe the Ranger also told me it's possible to make a citizen's arrest for that--but I bet this comment will stir this topic up again, so I better call that Sgt Ranger again this week, and edit this post with a P.S.

Let's get these guys out of the shadows. Who are they? Let's introduce them to the Rangers. If I see 'em again I will def also get pics and try to find where they parked. We can find out in court if they need education, or just need to quit the illegal behavior. Let's get them fines and their gear confiscated.
    Last edited by Mark V; 06-13-2016 at 05:41 PM.

The occurrence was in the after noon just below Watt Ave and in between Howe although I've seen the same spearfishermen in other areas of the river. I've said comments to several of them in the past about not killing the larger female stripers because they're populations are so low. Most of them respond by saying that they are helping the salmon populations or "its not your river" and I've even been told that I'm number one (with their middle finger).
    Unfortunately the Dept of Fish and Game and County Parks and Rec says its legal if they enter the American River by boat from the Sacramento River since the American River Parkway is protected federally... no weapons/firearms. The spear fishermen also get around this by disassembling their spear guns before they enter the parkway and then reassemble them once they are in their boats. My question then becomes... How is that even legal? and... Why does anyone think its a good idea to kill these spawning females?

I think Mogaru is right on... There's a much bigger agenda going on not to mention people should open their eyes to the bigger picture and look at fisheries around the world that once were however, because of our short sided thinking they no longer exist. -JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

It's very sad, this one here was taken from the Harrington/ Gristmill area! I have told this freind of mine the 8lbers are the healthy eating ones not the 30+ lbers !Salmon/steelhead and stripers have all commingled togather in the American River since the late 1800's. Plus we have a hatchery that provides for future salmon / steelhead , so why kill the big hens, there not saving the salmonoids! Me as a fly angler and many conventional gear guys I know , know how hard it is to get hooked into one of these toads on the A! The more big pigs that get speared is going to even make it harder to hook one! Eat some Mercury overload!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	12043