Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truckee ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Remember the saying though- the best time to go fishing is when you have time to go fishing!
    FWIW, I have been swimming in the long run below and around the corner from fornication rock, on about my 5th time swimming through, and a guy came up and asked if he could indi-fish his way through. I said sure, popped a beer and sat on the rock while he got 2 fish, one was pretty big! Wife and dog were still in the hole swimming.
    I agree with Jim and Ralph, the 4th is a zoo.

PS Jim, thanks for waiting for me to cross at the Safeway this morning!
    PPS I defer to those guys on hopper patterns, and I'm not nearly as legit of a fisherman, but FWIW if have luck with a #12 muddler fished like a nymph when it is hopper time. A little bluish color seems to help (i use pheasant rump for the underwing)

This goes without saying but there is a lot of water to fish on the BIG T. Hike down and walk if you can. You can get away from a lot of people with a little effort. If you park in the normal places get ready to meet a lot of people. Also there is a ton of water period to fish in the greater Tahoe basin. Stillwater stuff will be going off and has seen less pressure this year because we have water in our rivers.

Personally I've never fished hoppers in the Sierra's until later in the summer. (July-August). Maybe I should change my tactics? But right now I'm thinking crawdads, green drakes, ants, and PMD's.

I've never found Truckee trout too selective about patterns when it comes to eating (or not eating) a hopper. Chubbies are about as painless as they get (you never have to baby them) but I like Madam X and Gartside style hoppers tied with a deer hair body (either spun or pulled back bullet head fashion). The deer body hoppers ride lower in the water and seem to have a much better hook up rate than foam hoppers. Foam is often pushed around while the heavier deer hair is more likely to stay anchored in place and stick the fish. People say that trout refuse foam hoppers, but I'm thinking that refusal is a fly that got pushed aside. Deer hair gets chewed up, needs to be dried and dressed and ulimately all will get waterlogged. It's a price I'm willing to pay. For all my bad mouthing the 4th, if I were visiting the area, the Truckee River would be on my hit list anyway. Fishing is never BAD!
    Last edited by Ralph; 06-12-2016 at 05:47 PM.

It used to be peaceful on the water....
    Human trail builders are like beavers...
    they can't help themselves....
    MUST BUILD!!!
    Wait till the transients move in.
    Kids on moto-cross bikes ripping..
    Who's tax dollars for patrol....? Nevada county?
    That's if they complete it....I like the 2.3 miles going in, down lower in the canyon.
    Starts nowhere...goes nowhere..
    They will try and leverage the remaining land owners for access, or use eminent domain....the trail must go through...
    It's a dis-ease. May all trail builders get one through their yard at no added cost.

A sz 9 Very High Sierra blu'e is tied with a spindly dubbed pale yellow body with white thread wrap, with wings of blue/grey turkey wing (free range). Taper wing to a razer thin butt. Coat wings with fleximent...for durability.....
    Leggs are barred pumpkin, nicely knoted. You asked....
    Soggy is best, when fishing hoppers.
    More takes... and fewer push-aways.....
    I have been known to float mine with a split shot.
    The closest Comercial tie is a Burks spent Hopper. Tied for the T.
    Mostly though...it's a good drift.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-12-2016 at 08:00 PM.

"...Back in the day fishing on the 4th was predictably good. You might bump into a few anglers but they were far and few between. In the 70's into the early 80's me and Randy were the only fly fishing guides for the entire region."

Ralph----I fully agree with your above comment....

Ah, the "good old days". Times do change. When asked about local fly fishing history in the Truckee area I'll inform people that I was the 3rd licensed fly fishing guide in the Truckee area. I believe Randy got his guide license in '78, you in '81? and me in '84.

For sure there were less crowded conditions on the local waters then. We seldom bumped into each other then and left each other lots of space; regardless if we were guiding or personally fishing. If I saw your or Randy's vehicle, I'd go else where and I'm sure you and Randy reciprocated. That was then and this is now. Nevertheless, the water still intrigues me and provides me with my spiritual recharge.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 06-12-2016 at 09:16 PM.

WOW...Thank you Jim, John and Ralph...in no particular order. Incredibly helpful! Can't say thank you enough. I look forward to sitting at my vise and seeing what I create...then fishing those creations.

John, are you fishing that #12 blue toned muddler on the bottom dead drift? I need to hear more please.

Jim, how do you float a hopper with a split shot? How far above? Assuming you are fishing water where you can see the take a few inches below the surface...and that is where you want your hopper to be presented...just under the surface???

The common thread of all 3 of your responses is that you are all fishing hoppers...low in the film, below the film/drowned...and possibly lower John? That is GOLD. Please share any more that you can think of on exactly where in the water column each of you are targeting and having success. THANKS!!! AGAIN!

Ty

Andy B wrote an article one time he called "The final foot".
    He made the point that anything that falls on the service, sinks....through the top foot.
    And anything that swims for the surface will pass through that top foot......
    Simple really. Fish the foot.
    One of the most amazing days of fishing I have had, was sight fishing with my hopper a foot down.....
    Hoppers come in every color from pink to black. I once served a blackened Burks to effect, the fish approved, and so did Andy .
    I have fished one for 46 years....they don't work well in winter..but as soon as you hear the males flying, fish'em.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-13-2016 at 08:09 AM.

TyV-
    I fish hoppers in the film and as deep as I can see them. Nymphing with a hopper is honestly the most productive way, but the least fun (for me). All terrestrials drown sooner than later and I'm convinced the majority of terrestrials are eaten once drowned.

Ralph/Jim

If you both knew the level of excitement that I have at the moment... I LOVE that about fly fishing, I will never live long enough or fish enough days that learning gets old...or that there isn't more to learn. 20+ years...and it just gets better for me.

Thank you!!!

Ty