Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low-holers WTF!!!!

Can someone explain "low holing" a little more?
    So if I get a stretch of water and there is someone fishing a spot, anywhere downstream from him is off limits? I should wait and see if the angler is going to work his way down? What if the angler takes his time in the hole before he moves down? Do I sit on the bank and just wait? Do I ask for permission to fish below him?
    I've been "low holed" before but I look at it as the angler coming in has no clue if I've fished that spot or not yet or if I'm even going to work my way down. Can't read peoples minds. Sounds like the etiquette would be too ask permission or to sit on the bank and wait it out or just leave and find another spot.
    I'm curious what the answers would be. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishnchip View Post
    So if I get a stretch of water and there is someone fishing a spot, anywhere downstream from him is off limits? I should wait and see if the angler is going to work his way down? What if the angler takes his time in the hole before he moves down? Do I sit on the bank and just wait? Do I ask for permission to fish below him?
    I've been "low holed" before but I look at it as the angler coming in has no clue if I've fished that spot or not yet or if I'm even going to work my way down. Can't read peoples minds. Sounds like the etiquette would be too ask permission or to sit on the bank and wait it out or just leave and find another spot.
    I personally start above any person I come up on in a spot. Now if I'm moving down river and I start getting in close to the fisherman below me I ask him if he is moving down and if it's okay to go down below him. This has never failed me and most say go right on down. This leaves me at a peace of mind that he's okay with it. The simple fact that you ask and are polite about it makes all the difference in the world. But when you barge in its what gets some people pissed. Me personally I don't care because like posted before me I have been low holed and caught fish above the low holers hahaha!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

The best thing to do if you get low holed is to stick a fish right in front of them, preferably right between their legs! They usually have just stepped and cast right into the bucket. On a serious note, communication is key here in CA where on any major river and any day people might be fishing close to where you are fishing. If either party starts the discussion then everything starts working out.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnchip View Post
    There you go, I think you answered your own question well, I just highlighted it in bold. To me the common sense, common courtesy action when you come across another angler already at the water, yield to them. If they're working upriver start below, if they're working downstream start above... ask them which way they're going and if they mind if you step in. Pretty easy usually, though I have had a few odd looks and mumbled responses, most folks are more than willing to share if they feel that their priorities have been respected.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    To me the common sense, common courtesy action when you come across another angler already at the water, yield to them.
    JB
    You nailed it right there, Jason!

Nailed it, Jason - common sense and common courtesy.
    But, like those who don't return shopping carts to the proper place (often blocking a parking space) or those who ignore the 15-item limit sign at a grocery store checkout stand, there will always be violators, those who play by their own rules.

Good opportunity to politely educate a naive fly fisher new to the sport. On the flip side... this week, I had one young man wade out and ask me if I would share the run with him. So, there are a few good apples out there.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

Last time out I got there very early and hit the bucket just right. Two nice guys who came later were above me and getting nothing. After catching a bunch I just offered them my spot for a bit. Had a nice leisurely nature call and a drink. Enjoyed watching them catch a some. Then came back and enjoyed there rest of the bite. Good fishing and good feelings beat the stress of combat environment.

Quote Originally Posted by alcimedor View Post
    Last time out I got there very early and hit the bucket just right. Two nice guys who came later were above me and getting nothing. After catching a bunch I just offered them my spot for a bit. Had a nice leisurely nature call and a drink. Enjoyed watching them catch a some. Then came back and enjoyed there rest of the bite. Good fishing and good feelings beat the stress of combat environment.
    Great post, alcimedor, and welcome to the forum.

On the thread topic: low holer's gonna low-hole. They don't read forums or at least any posts on forums about low holin'.

At least the fish are shad and there are a bunch of them.