Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low-holers WTF!!!!

Default Low-holers WTF!!!!

Went fishing tonight and got low-holed by 2 different fly fishermen. Both of these guys stepped in below me well within my swinging distance. I expect that crap from the meat harvesting bait chuckers but not fly fishermen... Get some damn free education on fishing etiquette when you go purchase your $800 fishing outfit.

If you need to slide in below someone at least have the decency to walk up to the person before hand and see if they are ok with you doing it. More often than not, they will be happy to share the hole with you and will be very grateful that you had the balls and the decency to approach them and ask. But for god sakes, don't just move in below them and act like it's all fine and dandy.

Sorry for the rant!

That's really why I don't fish Shad ,I can't stand the crowds and they're only Shad. I would rather swing in solitude, it's my way of unwinding from life! One grab no grabs , just happy to be alone and seeing old blue fly by!

You should have seen it 50 years ago on the Lower American River.

30 to 40 fly fishers all lined up down a long run and no one moves.

You get out of the water and someone takes your spot.

That when there were thousands of Shad.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    I've got to admit swinging with a spey rod takes up some room, but the river is "35 MILES long, with easy access through out most of it.
    Some are just really lazy for the most part, waiting for someone else to scout out locations and post it here. I to agree, ask first.
    I will go out of my way to even help out and work with someone learning how to use a fly rod or spey rod for free.
    Agreed on the ask first policy. Shad fishing tends to be a lot more social with higher numbers of anglers fishing in close proximity. Usually during a good run practically everyone is catching fish therefore people are more prone to overlook some of the annoying aspects of fishing in a line up. Ask politely and most people in a crowded shad line up are happy to accommodate. In the recent evenings out on the river it is almost impossible to not "low hole" someone". Folks who show up later tend to find any available spot and get in it. If you had to wait for a spot in the top of the run you probably won't get to fish much. Also I have never seen cast and step down practiced in shad fishing. Just the way it is, this is not steelheading. The option of finding a less crowded spot on the river is always available. You just have to hope the fish are there.

Prime example why I don't give info on my fishing spots where I catch fish.
    It somewhat limits this issue.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

like previously mentioned, the river is long and the Shad are everywhere.

Do some walking, get on the water earlier, or just drive 2 miles up or down and find some more fish.

It is shad fishing. If you can't stand the crowds, you are in the wrong game.

Ran into a spey guy last week that must have thought it was steelhead season, because he felt he owned all the water below him, even though it was clearly beyond his rather mediocre casting ability. Probably going to be a growing problem as more people use two-handed rods which seemingly demand a bit more room.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    That's really why I don't fish Shad ,I can't stand the crowds and they're only Shad. I would rather swing in solitude, it's my way of unwinding from life! One grab no grabs , just happy to be alone and seeing old blue fly by!

I feel the same way Mark, although I always enjoy running into some good folks and sharing some water and stories with them along the way. But solitude is key for me while fishing.

Line-ups are a bust for me because I am either in a spot catching fish and feeling bad that others are not, or I am in a spot not catching fish, feeling bad that others are.

There are many places to find these shad outside of these line-ups. Some of them are only good for one maybe two people. The best thing about finding these places is, even if someone walks up above or below you, they will most likely not catch many if any at all and move on to another location.

I find just as much enjoyment and adventure in looking for spots w/ solitude as I do in catching shad.

I also find it a bit boring when I catch one after another, however that is the best time to test out different flies.

There is nothing better than rolling up on a spot without anyone on it, when the river is full of people in all the "best" places and figuring out where to stand for the best swing, finding the right tip, the best fly and start catching fish. I love the challenge and live for the take!

Yes, shad fishing is a different game from steelhead. Don't get upset with the numbers of anglers. If you're all by yourself, the pods of fish are probably elsewhere as well.

You might have seen my buddy Jeff's post on opening day on the Pit.

Five guys low-holed us when there was plenty of water upstream. We heard
    them talking behind us and they promptly went right below. Only karma was
    seeing none of them hook fish.

Just gotta laugh that one off.