Thread: Frenchman Lake 6/2/16

Default Frenchman Lake 6/2/16

Did a road trip looking for a tug.

Eagle Lake: Pulled into Christie's campground about noon and decided to take a drive around Eagle Lake looking for fish, first stop was Spaulding, no water there. Next stop was Rocky marina, no water there. Next stop was Youth Camp, it was to late in the day to try and drive that rough road in the dark. Back to Christie's for evening fishing, with the water temp at 70 degrees most of the people in the campgrounds said that fishing was bad. I hook 2 fish and lost both of them that evening around a spring that i found. Up at the crack of dawn and fished from Christie's to Wildcat Point for no grabs......bummer
    The beach at Christie's had this bathtub ring of snail shells.....WOW

Frenchman Lake 6/2: Water Temp 68+, i fished for 2 days, evening's, and early morning's and the catching was challenging with lots of sight fishing opportunities. Most of the trout were 17-19 inches of eagle lake trout, that would put on a good show when you hooked them in very thin water. A stillwater nymph in burnt orange size 12 was a hot fly, ask Scott V.
    There is a black poly wog hatch going on at Frenchman and Davis Lake, that are right along the edge of most cove's.....hmmmmm

Lake Davis 6/3: Davis was fishing a little slow, water temp 63, didn't see any Hex, saw some damsels, and very little surface actively going on.....Jenkins's is a good place to start. Lot of poly wog's along the shore, this is got to be a good food source for those big trout.....hmmmmm
    This is Jenkins's, no mud to wade through.
    Last edited by gene goss; 06-05-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Great pictures Gene. It sounds like Frenchmen's has consistently been out fishing Davis for the past month or so from reports I've been getting. I drove out to Davis yesterday to run the dog and check up on the damsel hatch. This exact same time last year the hatch was strong and the fishing was stellar. With the lower water last year we had more shallow water points to fish and the sight fishing couldn't have been better. My experience this year has been the damsels are definitely on the move and the sight fishing is there, just not at the same level of previous years, at least not yet!

I walked in yesterday so I wasn't able to cover nearly was much water as I do with my boat. So it's very possible that other buckets were seeing more activity. One of my better sources, Jonny B, is out with a bad back so we're unable to compare notes. Hope you're feeling better Jon, that back can be a real killer.

There's a very strong callibaetis hatch coming off around noon, about a size 16. And yes I saw lots of polywogs along the shoreline. Here's a fly which has done very well for me most likely because of that polywog population in the lake...

We got hammered with a strong thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, fortunately I was on my way home and not on the lake.

I look forward to seeing you out on the lake, I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point in time. Thanks for the great report.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam

BTY...Love that first Eagle Lake shoreline picture...should be a wall hanger.
    Last edited by FRSam; 06-06-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Great pictures Gene. It sounds like Frenchmen's has consistently been out fishing Davis for the past month or so from reports I've been getting. I drove out to Davis yesterday to run the dog and check up on the damsel hatch. This exact same time last year the hatch was strong and the fishing was stellar. With the lower water last year we had more shallow water points to fish and the sight fishing couldn't have been better. My experience this year has been the damsels are definitely on the move and the sight fishing is there, just not at the same level of previous years, at least not yet!

I walked in yesterday so I wasn't able to cover nearly was much water as I do with my boat. So it's very possible that other buckets were seeing more activity. One of my better sources, Jonny B, is out with a bad back so we're unable to compare notes. Hope you're feeling better Jon, that back can be a real killer.

There's a very strong callibaetis hatch coming off around noon, about a size 16. And yes I saw lots of polywogs along the shoreline. Here's a fly which has done very well for me most likely because of that polywog population in the lake...

We got hammered with a strong thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, fortunately I was on my way home and not on the lake.

I look forward to seeing you out on the lake, I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point in time. Thanks for the great report.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam

BTY...Love that first Eagle Lake shoreline picture...should be a wall hanger.
    Sorry to hear about Jonny B. I guess we have to find those big toads on our own.....i heard about a couple of break off's while i was fishing Jenkin's......toads.

Hey Pete...Gene...we've been up to Frenchman the past 3 Fridays & done quite well. I didn't keep count on Friday, but I was well in to double digits & mostly 16"-18" fighters & a few recent planters averaging about 8"-10". The GF is still getting used to barbless and while had 25 on, landed just 8. Gene, I'd sent you a PM about two years ago concerning Frenchman but never heard back. I've fished it with Scott V. and Shig in years back & get up there maybe 25-30 times/year. I'm creating a small raft so's I can bring Daisy, our boxer out with me. I'll attach it to the side of my motorized pontoon, so if you're there and care to say hi, please do.
    Mike