Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Recommendation

Great advice and suggestions - exactly what I would expect from the wonderful members of this forum. Thank you all. I'm going into this with a positive attitude, sure I can get several more years out of these ailing shoulders (once I get past the operation). But, as they say, getting old is not for sissies.

"Retire as soon as you can."
    -Bill Kiene
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    "Retire as soon as you can."
    -Bill Kiene
    My wife is quite a bit younger than I am - she thinks I should work until she retires.

If you're willing to drive I'd say Andy is your best bet. If not send me a pm if you'd like to know someone who uses the Oakland Casting Ponds. I'd offer to help but I have absolutely no teaching skills at all, I understand the mechanics but can't convey any of it which to me was really important and Andy was great at.

John,

This is Tim from DFF. We have talked before. All great advice....gitt has great advice as I have been to the oakland casting club a couple times. Another great resource as far as learning the casts, equipment and such is Jeff Putnam in Sac. He does several schools with spey casting. He does the 2-handed of course, BUT also does a single handed spey casting class as well. You can find some of his videos (and many others) on youtube...just look up Jeff Putnam. IF needed he can also provide equipment during the class and offer some recommendations. I too, have shoulder problems. I completely shredded my right rotator cuff several years ago and now with my RA it makes it worse. Spey casting drastically reduces the wear and tear on my shoulder, BUT more importantly spey casting allows me to reach water I never thought imaginable UNLESS i was a very accomplished caster. Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    I've never felt the need to use a spey rod, although as I look back there were certainly times when a spey rod would have been a better choice than a conventional setup.
    I've developed some shoulder issues. In talking to someone at a recent event, he suggested using a spey rod on certain portions of my Alaska trips to reach fish that otherwise would require a lot of wear and tear on my shoulder and a lot of Ibuprofen. He suggested picking up a reasonably priced 13-foot rod and an Outbound line.
    I'm one who likes to do things right, so I'm looking to take a lesson or two before heading out on my own and hoping for the best. I live in the East Bay. Looking for recommendations for a good teacher who is patient with old farts.

the sf casting ponds are an amazing resource, ive thoroughly enjoyed every visit.

gitt,

Do the guys still meet at the Oakland casting ponds on Sat ams? Is there a charge for some of their direction?

Thanks,
    Tim

Since you're in the Bay Area, give the Lost Coast crew a call. George Revel and his crew are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum2 View Post
    gitt,

Do the guys still meet at the Oakland casting ponds on Sat ams? Is there a charge for some of their direction?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim,

There is a group of helpful spey casters at the ponds every Saturday from about 9 am to noon and there is no charge for their helpful input. When you enter the ponds from the street side, the Spey guys will be toward near the back (second pond) on the left side. They are a welcoming bunch and are glad to help out. Know that you will get feedback and direction from more than one individual. They are a collective of experienced casters and newcomers get special attention. Don't be shy about approaching this group and mixing it up. The casting ponds are part of Oakland's Park and Rec department for the benefit of casters. It is a great venue for learning the sport. Nice thing is this group also fishes, so it can be a social setting as well. Don't let their experience intimidate you. After one visit, you should be able to tell who you will want to gravitate to for continued help and input.

Hope this helps.

Sadly, we were never able to get a casting club/pond going here in Sacramento but we have the Lower American River where everyone does their two handed/Spey casting practice and fishing.

The advantage is we have moving water that is wadable.

You can cast from both sides of the river, river right and river left.

We also have some really top two handed/Spey casting instructors.

Jeff Putnam, Doug Duncan and Andy Guibord.....you can Google them to find their web sites.

In our river you can Spey cast for Half-pounder Steelhead, Adult Steelhead, American Shad, King Salmon and Striped Bass.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........