Thread: Stretch of water on 89 near Tahoe City

Default Stretch of water on 89 near Tahoe City

I'm heading up to Tahoe for days and would like to take my son fishing but with family I'll need to stay close to where we are staying which is near Homewood. How is the stretch of water just outside Tahoe City? Any other nearby spots that would be good for kids? Always fun to get them out in new water.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Ryan, there are fish around....
    But the T isn't really for kids...
    Adults can struggle..
    Flows are nice up there, wet wading is OK.
    You could try the River Ranch Hole..
    Then have a burger on the deck.
    Bet he'd remember that.
    Maybe fish off the docks on Tahoe in the early AM or late PM.
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-03-2016 at 09:55 AM.

That stretch can be good and very easy. Unfortunately this year it will not because CA DFW is not planting it. Donner is much easier and more consistent for the shore fisherman than Tahoe, and if we get a little bit more water in Prosser, it'll be easier than both.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    That stretch can be good and very easy. Unfortunately this year it will not because CA DFW is not planting it. Donner is much easier and more consistent for the shore fisherman than Tahoe, and if we get a little bit more water in Prosser, it'll be easier than both.
    That is really a pretty stretch that use to hold some nice fish fish. Even if the fishing isn't good (which I would expect) the scenery is priceless. Good call Big Fly.

Why didn't they plant that section? Its a great place for young families and kids? NDOW is planting so many LCT you can basically scoop them out by hand. Don't get my going on that one though.

Not sure. There is an allotment for that stretch but it is not allocated this year. Maybe not enough fish to go around. DFW had to dump a lot of hatchery fish in the past few years due to disease and maybe temp if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    That is really a pretty stretch that use to hold some nice fish fish. Even if the fishing isn't good (which I would expect) the scenery is priceless. Good call Big Fly.

Why didn't they plant that section? Its a great place for young families and kids? NDOW is planting so many LCT you can basically scoop them out by hand. Don't get my going on that one though.

Thanks guys. Sort or what I figured but thought there may be a stretch that was planted. When I fish the T, is usually below the town and certainly wouldn't take a young kid down there just yet other than to just have a good time on the river.

We do have a long pier at the house we are staying at but I've hardly ever seen fish in Tahoe. I used to scuba dive around dl bliss and I don't think I have ever seen one. Thousands of Crawdads though!

Thanks guys.

There are a few options around.

If your willing to travel towards south lake there is a kids pond called sawmill lake for 14 and under. I believe there may be a fishing derby there this weekend. You have echo lake at the top of echo summit which generally gets stocked quite a bit, the west carson river in hope valley.

There are quite a few options. Check out the fish n game page to see where they stocked recently and they may help you a bit as well. Plenty of options. Its more what you want to do and how far you would like to drive. Be mindful of flows tho. THis hot weather is melting snow and spiking flows again the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post

I think it's better they dump natives rather than the regulars. 5 yrs from now those LCT will be bigger and no one will be complaining.