Thread: Pinecrest Lake

Default Pinecrest Lake

Heading up to Pinecrest Lake this weekend, anybody have any experience fishing up there? I'm definitely a stillwater newbie and have a float tube I'll be trying to figure out. I've heard it's pretty much all hatchery fish so any flies or tactics that may work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

It's been a while since I've been there but the dam area is generally the place to go.

From the marina, hike along Pinecrest Lake trail over to the dam area then drop in anywhere. There is a point at the head of the little bay that would be worth dragging a fly across a few times.

I don't have any specific recommendations for flies at Pinecrest but lately I've been partial to Sheep Creeks, Fuller Lake Specials and black or green leech-y types of flies (something made with marabou that gets long, skinny and wiggly when wet) for mountain lakes.

Let us know how it was!
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Had a great weekend up at Pinecrest, not exactly the most wild place I have ever camped but good times nonetheless. Fishing was pretty slow for us. 1 rainbow and a tiny smallmouth bass for me in about 4 hours of fishing on Saturday morning near the inlet. Got mine jigging a Sheeps Creek (thanks for the tip loose_shoes) off the edge of a rock, my buddies were gear fishing and got 1 on a spinner and 1 on power bait.

Highlights of the day had to have been nosing our boat into the rocks to anchor up and noticing a rattlesnake sunning itself about 5 feet away from the bow of the boat; needless to say we changed spots. Also, was able to watch roughly 15-20 follows and short-strikes stripping a woolly bugger over a group of submerged boulders. Really wanted that take as it would have been my first fish on a fly I tied myself.

I've camped a couple of times at Pinecrest...beautiful little family spot. I'm pretty sure they drain the lake on occasion so there are no native fish in there, all planters. When I have fished it, I haven't had to get more than 25 yards from the boat dock to get into fish. They stock the s**t out of that place.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.