Thread: Rancho Seco 5/31

Default Rancho Seco 5/31

Went to Rancho Seco today, and it was a scorcher but I didn't mind too much. Fished from the docks and saw a decent sized bluegill and a huge rainbow but they promptly disappeared in the time it took me to choose a fly and tie it on so it was just me and the little guys. Caught three bluegill all together, one on a black and orange beetle and two on a bright green beetle... both of which being the Leetle Beetle and is quickly becoming one of my go to patterns. Tried a topwater tadpole, I think it's called a Pyramid Lake Tadpole or something, that I saw online to see if I could entice anything bigger up from deep water or from cover but no dice.

If I were to go again tomorrow, I'd bring a few adult damsels. They were everywhere and fish were jumping to take them, mostly from spots out farther into to the lake or places along the shore I couldn't reach without a boat, or a chainsaw. The other insects I saw around, and as plentiful as the damsels, were Eight-spotted Skimmers, what I think were Black Saddlebags and a few of standard annoying house/fruit/whatever flies associated with public places and the messes people leave behind.

I hope this helps for anybody planning on going out there soon. Oh, and if you're a bird watcher and photographer as well, there were tons of subjects for you to choose from including an osprey and what I'm pretty sure was a white-faced ibis.
    Last edited by JR Martinez; 06-01-2016 at 12:56 AM.

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/...eco-park-pond/

Rancho Seco Lake is a nice place to fish.

Water is usually very clear which makes things more fun than many other ponds.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Did you hear about the fellow that has been spearfishing giant bass at Rancho Seco? I guess he has since been banned from the park and reported to DFG. From what I heard he was also on probation for another DFG violation. Not sure if he has been charged with this or not. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13177165_10206205753690802_2505409270971079444_n.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	12006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13087811_10206205754090812_2787200348371887814_n.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	12007

Quote Originally Posted by JMKiernan View Post
    Did you hear about the fellow that has been spearfishing giant bass at Rancho Seco?
    SMH. what a moron.