Thread: In the market for a couple of new rods

Default In the market for a couple of new rods

I'm in the market to replace a couple of rods this year. Seeking some input.

I have a crummy Cabelas 7 1/2 foot 3 weight that I use for creek fishing and I would like to upgrade to something nicer/more durable, but not significantly more expensive given that I will likely never land a fish over 15"-17" with it and I get myself into some really hairy/slippery spots some times when creekin'. I came across a decent deal on a TFO professional. I already have a 8 1/2' 4 weight TFO Pro that is my typical dry fly rod (supplemented with a 9' Redington Vapen 3wt), and I am mostly happy with it, so I could see adding another to my collection. Budget for this creek rod purchase is $120 max and ideally under $100. What else should I be looking at?

I am also looking for a 9 1/2-10' 7wt for high stick nymphing, fishing the egg bite and stillwater (Pyramid/Davis). Given the length, I want something lightweight. This is intended to be a slightly heavier all around rod than my typical 9' 6wt that I am very happy with. I dont envision doing much swinging with it, as I have a 5wt switch already that I use for that purpose. I would likely be balancing it with a Lamson Liquid model 3. Came across a reasonable deal for a Hardy Shadow, but still a bit more than I would like to pay at $270. If I could come in around $200 that would be better. Any thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but this winter I picked up a Redington Classic Trout 376 and Zero reel. I loaded it with Rio DT line. It all feels like quality stuff. Just casting on my lawn, the thing puts a smile on my face. I'll never win a distance contest but you feel the loading all the way to the cork. Can't wait to get a fish on this thing. Street price is around $129 for the rod.

I have a Echo Carbon 2wt that I am very happy with. It is 7'-3" long and casts a 2wt WF line like a dream. I think they cost about $150.00.

The Cabela's CGRs are great small stream rods. I have the 6-6 4wt and the 7-6 5/6 wt. They're slow action but they're tough and cast beautifully. The MSRP is 129.99 but I got mine on sale for $60 or so. They've taken plenty of abuse and are holding up well.

The Cabela's Prime Fiberglass (same action as the CGR but in a one-piece) is on sale for $79.99.

In the sub $120 price point you could also look at an Eagle Claw or a WW Grigg Graphite--both are great rods for the money.

Thank you for the suggestions...I will do some checking.

For the 7wt, I'm awaiting delivery of an echo ion 10' that I picked up on an amazing deal. I will give it a try for awhile, and perhaps upgrade after this fall season depending on how it does and how much I find that I use it. I think it will get a lot of use during the egg bite on the Yuba when the occasional steelhead shows up that will go into backing on the typical 6wt.

For a 3wt I love my redington butter stick!!!