Thread: Any info on Boulder Colorado?

Default Any info on Boulder Colorado?

My daughter was accepted to Boulder and I know there are many fly fishing opportunities to be had. I was just wondering if anyone here has any insight for my wife and I? Thanks ,Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
    My daughter was accepted to Boulder and I know there are many fly fishing opportunities to be had. I was just wondering if anyone here has any insight for my wife and I? Thanks ,Jake
    That's a great school, I was accepted to grad school there, but went to California.

There is a big Mary Jane culture there, even before it was legalized.

My angling experience in Colorado is limited, but not far from Boulder is Rocky Mountain National Park, a place where I have wet a line, and there are MANY places there to catch some trout. Also, not far from Boulder is the town of Lyons, home of John Gierach. Perhaps reading some of his books will give you a few ideas.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

I travel there a lot for work, and always see folks fishing Boulder Creek, both in town and in the canyon. Blue River has some big fish in it. There are numerous lakes and streams in the surrounding mountains and as stated RMNP isn't too far. Front Range or Rocky Mountain Anglers both seem like solid shops for good beta and bugs.

Seems like it would be a fun place to go to school, housing prices are out of control, just behind SF in average home price. Google moving in doesn't help.
    Last edited by aaron; 05-13-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Hi Jake,

There's great fishing around and in Boulder. I wouldn't call it a fishing destination (it's not Montana), but be sure to bring your rod when you come out.

Boulder Creek is a catch and release fishery that runs right through the center of town. The fish aren't huge (most are in the 8-10" range) but the convenience factor makes up for the lack of size. This is 3 or 4 wt water.

South Boulder Creek is a nice tailwater, but you'll need to hike a bit to access the good water.

There are plenty of high altitude lakes and streams in the mountains above Boulder. Again, hiking required.

Rocky Mountain National Park is also great fishery. It's about a 45 min drive from Boulder. It can get crowded in the summertime, but it's fairly easy to find solitude if you're willing to hike.

Also check out Clear Creek, the Big Thompson canyon, the St. Vrain, and the Cache La Poudre (the locals call it "The Poo-der").

There are bigger/better rivers (with larger fish) deeper in the Rockies. The Blue, the South Platte, North Platte, Arkansas, Gunnison, Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, and the Yampa just to name a few. They're all worth checking out but they're not day trips from Boulder.

Front Range Anglers is my go-to fly shop in Boulder. They have some great guides who would be more than happy to show you around the local rivers. frontrangeanglers.com

PM me if you'd like more info.

Cheers,

MF

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
    Go up Hwy 7 towards Estes Park. not too far from Boulder and Lily Lake has a nice little roadside fishery for Greenback Cutthroats
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

I lived in Boulder 10 years ago. so take this for 10 year old input. After work the St Vrain River was a favorite because it is only 6miles or so from Boulder, is a small river & wet wading is practical.

For a full day trip, the Poudre is only 1- 1.5hrs. For big fish and a real Colorado experience, drive to Dillon area (1.5- 2 hrs) or weekend trip to Basalt area (4 hrs). Or drive to /from California & Boulder and spend time in SW Colorado.

Rocky Mountain Anglers is another good fly fishing shop in Boulder. Look at websites and fishing reports for them and for Front Range Anglers. Guide rates are in range of $300 for 2 people for an entire day of wading. Both shops fish from in town to 4 hrs away. I'd use a guide for a first trip and then if I was going to drive 2 -4 hrs to fish. Boulder Creek, St Vrain and Poudre are not technical enough to warrant a guide (IMHO)... guides can get you on private water (creeks, rivers, lakes) & there seems to be a lot of private water in Colorado.