Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2016 AR Shad Reports

Scouted Sailor Bar Saturday morning. 5 Geese giggling at me from the shoreline, no fish (no fish yet visible either). Ran through upper and lower parking area, no anglers in either water.

Met two spin fishermen in the upper parking lot, who exclaimed "Western Outdoor news claims there's fish stacked everywhere!" I reminded them that the Black Cloud that follows me trumps the "everywhere" label everytime.

In short: Nothing stirring from 6:30AM - 8:30AM

For what it's worth, my best time of day to catch Shad is between 10-4 during the daytime.
    I'm fishing lower in the system now, if you fish Gristmille you will see and catch fish.
    Walking either way up or down has good results.

I fish early only when I have out of town guests that I need to put on fish, normally just to secure good spots in runs or above holes.
    Shad in my opinion is funnest in the heat of the day! Gotta give em a chance to wake up. Lol

Fished this morning and it was pretty fun and not crowded. Got back in the evening and there were a lot more anglers (gear and fly). I couldn't move around and got pinned in. The sun got off the water and I moved below everyone. Ended up with almost 40 for the day. I just couldn't get that last one in the end!

Beautiful day on the American! Fished with my daughter (10 years old) from a little after 3 until the frogs started sounding off. We stopped counting after 22 but probably didn't get more than 30.

It was my daughters first day trying to spey cast w/ my Sage TCX 6119. She did really well considering her coach/guide can't cast for Shat....lol

She completed her cast, hooked and brought 3 to the bank. Yeah, I am a little proud to say the least.

I got her on video for one of them: https://youtu.be/T2cf-uOB28I
    Last edited by itsbenlong; 05-29-2016 at 10:16 AM.

6 yesterday evening. All on my version of Bloody Maria. Intermediate head with 12.5 T8 in slower water. @itsbenlong What's the secret to getting your kid out? That's a fishing tip I have to hear! I haven't had much luck on that front. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ZWhit View Post
    6 yesterday evening. All on my version of Bloody Maria. Intermediate head with 12.5 T8 in slower water. @itsbenlong What's the secret to getting your kid out? That's a fishing tip I have to hear! I haven't had much luck on that front. LOL.
    Lucky maybe? I started taking her when she was 4 or 5 and made sure I went to places I knew for sure I would catch fish. I also made sure we packed up and headed home before she got bored. When she was old enough, I would hook'em and then let her reel them in. I am still doing much of the above, but have been teaching her to cast. I started her with a spinning rod and moved on to a low profile bait cast reel/rod. Although I made sure there was only braid on it because mono can get discouraging when you rat it up. She was casting a swimbait on a big swimbait rod when she was eight. Then I bought her a 5wt fly rod/reel w/ floating line and now she is wanting to spey cast.

I make sure I only go to places on the river where she can play around and has a little shade. I let her reel in a good portion of the fish once I set the hook. In between it all, we practice on some casting.

I couldn't tell for awhile if she just loved her dad and went along with everything, but lately I have noticed her really liking the idea of fishing. She is really patient and always wants to do a great job. She will keep trying until she gets it. It's pretty awesome!

Yesterday was her idea to go fly fishing for Shad....at least I think it was. Sometimes I can't tell or remember if I coerced her or not in some way. lol

Went out today and got into a lot of shad. Stopped counting after 50. Then got back to my car to find the window broken and they stole some cash and my keys luckily didn't Touch my fly rods and reels in there. If anyone happens to find keys if the thief discarded them I would love to get them back its got about 20 keys or so wife's car keys, house keys ect. It's on a red carabiner. Thanks!

Ben,
    That's a really cool story, fantastic that she's such a keen apprentice. I predict many humbling days ahead for you... I'm sure you'll adjust, and the two of you may have some very memorable times to come. I had a father/daughter duo "lowhole" me the other evening (slightly), and was at first a little miffed... I had been fishing for some big stripers and was kind of working my way through a good hole. Then I noticed the dad handing the rod of to his daughter a few times to try and reel in some shad, and kind of felt that they were on a more important mission than I was. I'm sure that I could have worked around/shared the hole with them, as they were quite friendly; but I decided to just cheer here on as she struggled with a very feisty shad. I moved on to another hole and ended up with a good hookup and promptly lost the fish... oh well.

Getting her own spey cast down, then hooking, and landing her very own shad is an accomplishment. I can totally relate about the vicarious excitement and reward after helping point a young newbie in the right direction. Not much better fishing really. I'm a little surprised that the 6wt switch rod isn't a bit too much for her to swing around though. She must be fairly determined.
    Tight lines,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch the barb View Post
    Went out today and got into a lot of shad. Stopped counting after 50. Then got back to my car to find the window broken and they stole some cash and my keys luckily didn't Touch my fly rods and reels in there. If anyone happens to find keys if the thief discarded them I would love to get them back its got about 20 keys or so wife's car keys, house keys ect. It's on a red carabiner. Thanks!
    That sucks!!! If you don't mind sharing, I'd be curious as to where your vehicle was parked when it was broken into? I do realize that pretty much all the parking areas are prone to break-ins here and there, but I was under the impression that things had been a bit mellower so far this year... perhaps I was mistaken? Good luck, hope you get your keys back
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    That sucks!!! If you don't mind sharing, I'd be curious as to where your vehicle was parked when it was broken into? I do realize that pretty much all the parking areas are prone to break-ins here and there, but I was under the impression that things had been a bit mellower so far this year... perhaps I was mistaken? Good luck, hope you get your keys back
    JB
    Thanks! I parked on the south side of salior bar.