Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2016 AR Shad Reports

Nice Ben! A watercraft will help you get where they are hanging out. Once out there it's important to have the right line to get to the proper depth. I normally float with 2-3 rods all rigged up but the majority of the time I have been using only one rod that gets deep (hint, hint, wink, wink)!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-15-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Yes, as a general rule, it is common sense to fish the bottom when the flows are higher and the water is moving faster...

Water flows fastest on top and slowest on the bottom of any river so in the daytime, when the shad are holding and not spawning, they will seek out the place where they can rest with the least amount of effort.

Like the great band Queen said...

Get down, make love
    Get down, take bugs
    Get down, make tugs

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Yes, as a general rule, it is common sense to fish the bottom when the flows are higher and the water is moving faster...

Water flows fastest on top and slowest on the bottom of any river so in the daytime, when the shad are holding and not spawning, they will seek out the place where they can rest with the least amount of effort.

Like the great band Queen said...

Get down, make love
    Get down, take bugs
    Get down, make tugs

There's more to it than that. In the ocean shad exhibit a 'diel migration' pattern where they move towards the surface at night and go to greater depths during the day. Researchers have suggested that this may have something to do with their relatively large eye and purposely seeking out low light conditions. Flow in the river might also play a role, but how many fishers have had good luck shad fishing in the middle of an afternoon on a dark/overcast day (regardless of flow)?

Great info Dan. Got almost 20 tonight and broke the 800 mark. Ran into Aron driving out and he fished another spot surrounded by bobber guys and got almost 50. Il

Had the pleasure of fishing with Andy Guibord this evening, floated Sailor Bar to Sunrise. Good coach and mentor, pleasant and upbeat. Had a great time learning the river. Landed quite a few fish on small flies, with most of the grab happening as the sun set. Managed to avoid imbedding a 2/0 clouser into either of us during the brief periods of light breeze. Landed four schoolies as a reward. Great trip.

Andy is the man!

I have enjoyed reading all of this great info this season and seeing the number of folks catching so many Shad!
    Thanks for all the posts and Jeff, thanks for this thread that every year I look forward to.

Just wish Shad season was longer.

Matt

So had a great afternoon/evening! That is until I was part of a test program. So before the bobber guys get there I was into them. After the bobber people got setup and started launching their grenades it was over!!!!!!! At first I thought maybe just me and that the pod was gone. Well it was not the case! And what I mean by gernade bobbers it's these big bobbers with a 1-2oz sinker. When they land it sounds like people throwing rocks in the river! It's loud! So the minute they hit the shore(leaving that is) I'm still in the river and bam fish on again! While they where their it was one fish here and there for a couple hours! But after is was like when I first got there! Yes these fish are effected by noise big time! Don't go making noise of you find a pod but throwing rocks or heaving things in the water. This was this evenings experiment. I got a lot of shad and a small striper overall not a bad evening!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

If you were the Spey caster bracketed by those three spin fishermen, (one lady and two gents) I felt for you. They were awful close to stepping on your toes.

Yea that was me hahahahaha! That was not really a big deal but their fishing technique was a no go.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"