Thread: Sandy Clave

Unhappy Sandy Clave

Anyone heading to the Sandy Clave?

Hope to make it this year - first time since the first two. Some of the TU Wild Steelhead Initiative Group will be there and John McMillan I think is giving a talk on Friday evening. I am the CA TU representative for WSI and will help at the booth assuming I can get there. You owe it to yourself to listen to John - absolutely fascinating guy who has a passion for protecting wild steelhead!!

Just got through major surgery so am still in recovery so likely no fishing

Rick,
    I wish I could make it! Had an absolute blast a couple years back, but work/life hasn't really allowed for a return visit to the clave. Hopefully next year... Hope your recovery is going well, and good luck on making it back to the water as soon as possible.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

ill be there starting tomorrow morning...showing off a sweet new clackacraft

I think this is the first year in the last 6 I'm not going to go. I'd probably go if I weren't busy on Saturday. But since Sunday is short on presentations and there are other things to do... Speaking of... Wish the clave didn't happen on the same weekend as the Clackamas white water festival.

John M's talk this evening was just outstanding!!! He has a great way of explaining the science to the lay person, even if not a fisherman that is highly entertaining - spoken to him on a number of occasions and never get tired of listening to him about steelhead!!!

Pretty stinking hot today even with the wind. Tough to find shade. It is suppose to cool down and become typical weather for Saturday. Heard the dinner menu included chili carnitas, so we left for a nicer dinner and a few cold ones.

Can you touch on the high points of John M's talk?

John's talk was essentially about how complicated the life cycles of steelhead are when compared to other salmonid species - they have around 32 life cycles compared to somewhere around 8 to only 2 for various salmon species. All the management strategies were developed back in the mid 1900s for salmon and just carried over to steelhead which does not work well. Talked about the original range of SH all the way down into baha.

Hatcheries reduce that life cycle dramatically. Also talked about the importance of all size classes of fish and how there can be sexually mature trout down to 3 inches in size and about sneaker fish - small 12" and less fish that can sneak in and fertilize a female's eggs rather than a bigger male that is also trying - very funny comparison to the Schwarzenagger big males compared to the little Danny DeVito sneaker fish - highly entertaining an awesome underwater photos and videos - he has snorkeledover 2000 miles of rivers!!!

Talked about the success of the Elway Dam removal and finally the importance of the Wild Steelhead Initiative and how effective it can be in changing policies. There have been attempts to change regulations up on the Olympic Peninsula watersheds for over 20 years - the only place in WA that wild fish could be killed!! There was never a concerted large scale effort. WSI along with other groups really spent the time and energy in meetings not only with regulators but all groups including guides and wer able to turn things around allowing three new regulations - no killing of wild SH, ban on bait and barbed hooks and a test section on the Hoh for no fishing from boats - had close to 600 folks write in and speak and 75 to 90% in favor of these changes- so our voice really does matter and can make changes if we work together