Thread: Sparkle Emerger/Pupa...Z-Lon, Sparkle Yarn, Antron

Question Sparkle Emerger/Pupa...Z-Lon, Sparkle Yarn, Antron

Hello All

I have heard so many things about the Sparkle Emerger and Pupa. Last season, I tied up a few and really didn't have to kind of success I would have thought. I have heard some say that the type of material you use for the overbody ie...zlon, antron, sparkle yarn makes a big difference. I have heard others say, they fish the same basically. Still, others suggest buying direct from the supplier of Gary's original antron...and insist it is that much better.

Can anyone who has tied and fished this pattern a great deal...please comment on this for me? FYI, I used basic carded antron on the few I tied. There certainly could have been other issues with the flies I tied. Just would like some perspective from the community before I give them another go this season.

Oh and I have another random question. I have watched a couple of videos showing a yellow brown underbody and golden yellow overbody on these patterns. It left me wondering why? I don't know of any yellow and brown caddis. Usually thinking cream/tan, olive, grey, green etc... That color choice had me scratching my head, if anyone knows why I would appreciate understanding that color choice.

Thanks as always for your thoughts and time.

Cheers

Fish_ON

Fish_ON,

Have tied and fished LaFontaine's patterns, and never really had much luck with them too. They still have their adherents though, and the most common critique you hear is the body must be dubbed sparsely, and the shuck is usually pretty light as well, especially compared to the store bought patterns. As far as the shuck material, LaFonaine must have been a great salesman, because he really has fooled a lot of folks into believing the mystical merits of Aunt Lydia's. You can still buy it if you want from www.thebookmailer.com, but the carded stuff should work fine as well (never noticed a difference between the two myself).

As far as the colors go, I imagine if you consider the varying water colors, the tiers were just trying to work up a reasonable set of alternatives rather than trying to match a particular hatch. The colors you have in mind are just fine although you may want to add black to the mix, but bright green, olive, and grey are probably the most popular. Best of luck.
    -JD

I've only had luck with them during a true hatch when tons of caddis are coming off the water but the fish are only keying on bugs below the surface. Lafontaine's pupa is actually the first pattern I learned how to swing and catch fish with making it a staple in my fly box. I don't think Lafontaine's pupa imitates other possible bug emergent patterns, like the birds nest, very well therefore I don't think they work as well when nothing is hatching.
    I am currently reading his book so I'm still learning more about the logistics of his patterns.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/