Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CI part 3

Default CI part 3

We were good sports and let our guides fish. Matt got this nice surgeon fish and I asked him how much he would pay me if I caught one, he said $50.

Well here is my $50 dollar fish. He didn't know I catch them all the time in hawaii. I got an even larger one after that. I think Matt realized he got hustled. I told him he didn't have to pay me. He was a great guide as they all are.

Biita got into the act and got a nice barred jack. We tried a couple of times for goldens but no love. That is why they are golden, tough fish to catch there.

The guides caught this huge mantis and we had it for a pupuu one night they are delicious.

Jesse with another nice bone.

Here is Craig out at korean wreck. The variety of fishing environments form blue water to white flats is stunning.

Here is my last bone. I had about 100 in between. It was sick seeing how much I could piss them off to chase the fly.
    It was a reel good time with good friends and great memories were made.

The people are warming and generous, this picture sums up what rules mean in CI, you make your own.

Aloha for now, I will be back, I still have to catch a dam sailfish! Mems.
    Don Memmer

Aloha Don,
    Glad you had a great trip! If you like bonefish you gota love C.I. and all the other fish are great fun
    too you never know what you'll cast to next! They had the best lobster I've ever tasted.
    Jim May

Mems,
    Looks like you guys had a good week. Did it rain or was the weather clear or partly cloudy on most days. I can't wait to go back there. Next year, I'm staying two weeks. I have the first two weeks in April reserved. I already have 3 guys who plan on doing the two weeks. I've also been thinking about taking a quick trip to the Cooks Island.
    Do your group use all the guides at the lodge. I really liked Michael, Matt, Biita... Oh hell, I liked all of them. Michael was suppose to give me one of his broken TFO rods to bring back but I didn't get a chance to see him. He also wanted some fly tying materials, so when I go back next year, I'll take him a good supply of materials. Or maybe send it to Fly Water Travel and they can give it to a client who's going there.
    Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time. Now I'm off to Mexico in a couple days. The bait is small but there are some roosters eating. Some big roosters at that. I'm tying a whole bunch of small surf candies. I'll post photo's to my FB page and also on this site

Aloha

Well, it's about time we heard some good story coming from Christmas Island.

Don, you guys look like you had a great trip with a great mix of fish variety. Knowing you've been there before, do you think the later date of your trip has anything to do with your success rate?

I can't wait to get back. My first trip there a couple of months ago sure whet my appetite for more of the same. We never got to see the lower part of the island because of the flooded roads. Maybe next trip we'll get to the Korean Wreck too.

Jay, when you get some dates down for going to the Cook Islands, count me in.
    Tony

Jay,
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I highly recommend you put Christmas Island on your Bucket List......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. Jay it did rain on arrival but it cleared up the next day and we avoided the showers when we could. Tony we fished the 1/4 moon and that meant more of an incoming tide for flats fishing. Offshore was awesome because no tuna boats in the harbor. The ono are normally around in April, the sails were a bonus. The milkies were on the chew when we went out for them. Other days guys had to work their ass off just to come tight. I have caught a bunch here in Hawaii so I knew what to do, but god has to be on your side for those fish. We had 12 anglers fishing. These are just shots from the groups I fished with. Others got some great fish as well. I will put a you tube together of the under water action on the sail and the milkies. Let you guys know when I get it posted. Jay good luck next year, two weeks would be insane. Don
    Don Memmer

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Hey Don - three questions for you,
    Can you describe the flies you used for the milkies? I'm headed there in November and if they're around want to give them a shot.

Were you able to fish for GT's without chumming or tossing a teaser, ie. by sight fishing them?

Last, what size flies did you bring for the GT's? I may need to order some larger hooks as my local fly shop doesn't carry very large hooks.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Hey Doug, milkies eat limu, seaweed. Try a bushy green fly tied on a size 6 octopus hook behind a small black float. I think they eat fish eggs so I brought some yellow fish eggs on a size 6 red octopus hook. Put the eggs on with crazy glue and then seal them with some softex or similar product. I got mine on a tan weightless wooly bugger that looked like a worm that was hatching there.
    GT's were caught trolling flies and chumming. We threw at them a number of times on the flats but could not seal the deal. I fished a size 4/0 Rainy's bush pig, That is my favorite GT fly. Good luck, you have lots of time to plan. Don.
    Don Memmer

What an awesome trip, Don! That sure does make me want to start saving up for that trip. Maybe one day I'll be able to go... Question for you; How did that ULDD hold up in the salt? Didn't think those reels were suitable for extensive saltwater fishing.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Thanks for that info, Don. We fished milkies in the Seychelles with little green algae flies too. Didn't try any egg flies tho.

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Hey Doug, milkies eat limu, seaweed. Try a bushy green fly tied on a size 6 octopus hook behind a small black float. I think they eat fish eggs so I brought some yellow fish eggs on a size 6 red octopus hook. Put the eggs on with crazy glue and then seal them with some softex or similar product. I got mine on a tan weightless wooly bugger that looked like a worm that was hatching there.
    GT's were caught trolling flies and chumming. We threw at them a number of times on the flats but could not seal the deal. I fished a size 4/0 Rainy's bush pig, That is my favorite GT fly. Good luck, you have lots of time to plan. Don.