Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yosemite High Country questions

if i can throw in a tad of info...
    check out Ralphs book the High sierra Trout guide... it has every lake in the sierras listed and the type of fish in it.
    Yosemite has been mandated with the same envasive species stance that SEKI has been emplemanting, so all the fish in yosemite if you find them are self sustaining. Hanging basket has no goldens, those are actually lohontons, a very old planting you can contact the parks biologist to verify, i did just that few years ago with the help of Ralph.

I also use a clear plastic tube to hold my fly rod. You can get them at Orchard Supply. I use a piece of duct tape to seal off the bottom. Cut the tube to the desired length, put your rod in its "sock" in the tube and you're ready to go. The friction between the sock and the tube keeps the rod in place. This system weighs almost nothing.

I tried one that was smaller diameter, but found it flexed a little too much.....if I piled anything on top of it, it came out bowed.
    So 2" was what I settled on. I make them for all my rods...up to a switch rod...in case I need to hike for a fish.
    Have used this staff/case for well over two decades. Shifting from hiking to fishing in less than a minute......Hit and run...
    Would like a fuzzy soft interior...but my rods are working tools, not a collectors item. So, case wear is ok by me.
    I still have people tell me I should market it.....but that would take away from my time on the water....can't have it all.
    Enjoy the hike.
    I've lead a few hikes...and you don't want them running off in the middle of the Sierras....
    Have them read the book (The last season by Eric Blehm) about the experienced seasonal ranger that disappeared for five years, that may keep them on trail...

Also.....practice your counter-balance bear hang system before you go. You may run into naughty/skilled bears closer to the valley.
    Until you have your food stolen 3-4 days from the store, it's all fun and games.
    Take two water bottles for the dry stretches on passes.....it will be warm, and thirsty.
    Have fun.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-24-2016 at 02:04 PM.

I fished that area while hiking the JMT in 2013. Lyell fork was stuffed full of nice brook trout in the section where the trail leaves the meadow and heads up to Donahue Summit. Lot of wood and cover to throw dry flies in and around. If you can take a side hike, the trail leading to the Minarets has good fishing in the stream coming out of the lakes in that basin, mostly brook trout, but I did find some nice goldens in Cabin Lake. Also the MF San Joaquin near Devils Postpile has some monster fish. Good luck