Thread: Yosemite High Country questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Grass hoppers, and ants.....floating and sunken, are good for lakes and streams both......
    Don't forget your moleskin/foam/tape and swiss army scissors.

This is a rod case/staff that worked well for me.

A stash of duct tape, a camera screw on top and a bolt through the bottom. Painted to hide it if need be.
    I hated carrying a staff and rod in a tube.
    Bingo.....

Jim
    THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!
    THANK YOU!
    I'm off to Home Depot.

Alger Lakes have Goldens
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Here's another possibility for a light weight rod tube that I use when I strap on the backpack and head for some altitude. It's a plastic tube and end caps for a fluorescent light. I'm sure it's lighter than PVC, but it isn't as rigid. I've been using these for years and I have had no issues or mishaps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007-1024x768.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	11921
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 04-21-2016 at 08:03 AM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

if i can throw in a tad of info...
    check out Ralphs book the High sierra Trout guide... it has every lake in the sierras listed and the type of fish in it.
    Yosemite has been mandated with the same envasive species stance that SEKI has been emplemanting, so all the fish in yosemite if you find them are self sustaining. Hanging basket has no goldens, those are actually lohontons, a very old planting you can contact the parks biologist to verify, i did just that few years ago with the help of Ralph.

I also use a clear plastic tube to hold my fly rod. You can get them at Orchard Supply. I use a piece of duct tape to seal off the bottom. Cut the tube to the desired length, put your rod in its "sock" in the tube and you're ready to go. The friction between the sock and the tube keeps the rod in place. This system weighs almost nothing.

I fished that area while hiking the JMT in 2013. Lyell fork was stuffed full of nice brook trout in the section where the trail leaves the meadow and heads up to Donahue Summit. Lot of wood and cover to throw dry flies in and around. If you can take a side hike, the trail leading to the Minarets has good fishing in the stream coming out of the lakes in that basin, mostly brook trout, but I did find some nice goldens in Cabin Lake. Also the MF San Joaquin near Devils Postpile has some monster fish. Good luck