Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where To Look?

Default Where To Look?

I'm starting my search for a Park/Campground Host position for this Fall & Winter. I'd kind of like to get back to my roots and find an area on the Northern California Coast. One very important factor is that the park must be close to a Steelhead River. Otherwise I may as well go to Arizona, right.

I grew up fishing everything from the Russian up to the Smith but my all time favorite was the Gualala. Problem is I haven't been back to that area since the mid 80's. Does the Gualala still have a fishable run of Steelhead? How about the Navarro or VanDuzen or any of those small waters up in that area?

I know there's a lot of factors involved that can make or break a Steelhead season but assuming pretty good weather and water is there enough fish around this area to invest a winter in. Or should I just try for Southern/Central Oregon or go spend the winter in Redding?

All opinions will be greatly appreciated, particularly if they come from someone that fished any of these waters this past winter. Thanks All & hope to hear from you!

Look around prairie redwoods state park. That's where id go. Or the deschutes/eastern oregon for summer/fall

Prairie Creek would be great. In-between the Klamath and the Mad and an easy drive to the Eel. I fear that Prairie Creek's rv sites are to small for my RV. I've sent them an email but no response back. Thanks!

If you go up to Oregon, I'd try for the Siletz River, Moonshine Park. Spoke with the host there a couple years ago and he said he'd walk the 100yds to the river each morning, catch 2-3 steelhead and make it back to his trailer before the percolator finished. He must have had it figured out, I only caught one the whole weekend I was there.

Moonshine was advertising for a winter host a couple of years ago. We ended up taking a park farther south. Should of went to Moonshine I think. Probably much better water now! If I recall it's a pretty good drive back for groceries and cell service wasn't so hot.

Yeah the area is a little short on services but, less cell reception=more fishing time

Can't fault your logic on this one!

The Lower Rogue River and Lower Klamath River have fish coming in in July?

AM and PM fishing......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Just spotted an ad for the lumberjack museum in Forks, WA. They want volunteers to work 3 days a week for a full-hookup RV space. That's 4 days to fish!! Some good rivers up that way. Lots of rain too. How's the fishing up there now?
    Last edited by Idadon; 04-27-2016 at 08:44 AM.

I was up there a few weeks ago. You have the Ho, Sol Duc and Bogashiel all in town, also one more who's name is escaping me. Fantastic swing and nymphing water. Bring you Gortex, Forks gets 200+" of rain per year. We were there for 8" of it. There is year round Steelhead fishing. The summer run is mostly hatchery. Not unusual to get Steelhead in the 20 lb. range. Good luck.