Thread: Loreto Video--Sailfish-Marlin-Dorado and Rooster

Default Loreto Video--Sailfish-Marlin-Dorado and Rooster

Hey guys,

Well, I am always posting about Mexico flies and Loreto Mexico fly fishing. I just found a video I forgot I had. The video shows how much fun we have, and also shows me landing one each of Sailfish-Marlin-Dorado and a few Roosters.

The Loreto trips are dirt cheap, and tons of fun.

Carl Blackledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKyTIW2TjYc
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 04-08-2016 at 08:01 PM.

That sure looks like fun Carl. You ought to be working for the Loreto Tourism Board. I started fishing Loreto almost thirty years ago and loved it. Never stayed at the Oasis but always at a little place on the beach just past the old harbor. Really loved La Palapa too. Everybody would be passing platters of extra dorado around to other tables because we couldn't eat it all.

For what ever reason I started going to La Paz with Jay and that's been great fun too for the last few years till the sardina's started to disappear and things slowed down a little.

I think I'm ready to head back to Loreto and give that another try. Kind of like fishing some place new again
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony,

Loreto is all about fun and comaraderie. The Oasis Hotel is just like home to all of us regulars and any first-timers as well. About an hour or so before sunrise, we walk the 100 feet to the restaurant and order anything we want off the menu, even fresh-squeezed orange juice with the pulp still in it. They will also pack you a cigar-box-sized container full of sliced pineapple, and all different types of melons for just a dollar or two. That fruit goes out on the boat with us, and it tastes like ice cream after its been in the ice chest all morning. After breakfast, just as the sun is coming up, we walk another 200 feet to the awaiting panga, which already has a load of sardines in the bait box for chum, and we head out for the days fishing, each with a big cup of coffee in our travelers mug.

The fishing is great in Loreto. Most of the guys in our group are only interested in fly fishing for the "Big 4": Dorado-Sailfish-Marlin and Roosters. Each year is different, and if one species forgets to show up, it seems like there is more of the others. You don't see very many pictures of Skip Jack and Pargo, because we just don't waste our time on rock fish and reef fish, when there are too many other richer targets. Why break into the bank and steal the pennies? We pretty much know where all the different fish live and hang out.

I used to be a Tarpon guy for about 15 years and spent 10K at least chasing Tarpon for 10 days. Then I discovered Loreto, and fell in love with the kick-back atmosphere, and the off-the-hook fishing with the big pulls. Now I go to Loreto for a month and spend half as much money. And everyone there seems happy all of the time! The video speaks for itself. Oh, by the way, that 16-wt. Sage rod, with the gold Tibor Gulf stream reel you see me fighting the Sailfish and also the Marlin with was pulled completely out of my hands and was never seen again - that's how strong those fish are! I also had another Sage rod with a new Abel reel pulled out of my sweaty hands, but my captain jumped in the water and grabbed the line and I retrieved that outfit back! Yes, it's wild in Loreto!

Carl Blackledge

I think July is still a top month.

We had a trip down there through the shop hosted by Chuck Campana for decades.

I went on that trip twice...

First trip was just OK but still way more action than I had seen before that time.

Second trip was insane...tons of schools of Dorado and lots of floating sargassum weed patches. It was also very smooth so we could use poppers 90% of the time on large fly rods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargassum

As Carl says, Loreto is a bargain salt water trip.I am sure Carl could help anyone here get a good rip planned.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

You hit the nail right on the head, watching a large green Dorado head come out of the water and just slam my top water fly, is just about the biggest high I can have. Now after that being said, casting to a Sailfish and watching them eat my fly then watch as the fastest fish in the sea screams the backing off my reel, also makes my knees wiggle, It's so cheap to have these experiences, I don't know why there isn't a waiting list to fish there.

I don't sell trips and I 'am not a agent, However I can gladly help out anybody who is interested in going to Loreto, about half my buddies stay a month, then we let our other friends come stay a week at a time, or we can point you in the same direction to get the same killer deals we get. I spend less then 5 K for a full month. We eat like kings, sleep in giant air conditioned rooms, fish out of super pangas, and have full time Captains.

The more guys that show up, the more fun we have. Life is good

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 04-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Carl,
    I should have taken you up on the invite late last year... Maybe your next trip..
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Railking View Post
    Carl,
    I should have taken you up on the invite late last year... Maybe your next trip..
    Al
    Al,

We always have room for one more guy, However it's a lot cheaper if you have a partner. If you have a partner, then you share the cost on everything.

Carl Blackledge

That seems like an absolute hoot Carl. Thanks for posting.
    PM with questions on the way....

Gene