Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your gear/technique?

Default What's your gear/technique?

Shad run should be popping any time now. Sitting here tying a few flies and thinking about what I may need to buy in the way of gear. I haven't actively chased them in a few seasons. I have a 12 1/2' 5 weight spey and figured I use the Rage head and extra fast sinking polyleader. Not sure yet how I'm going to rig my 6 weight single hander.

What gear do you prefer for chasing shad? How does everyone rig up, two handed or single, and what flies do you prefer?

SGS Scandi full intermediate + polys on a ACR 1214

TCX 6119.... Hard to beat. I have used down to 4wt switch rods and its not enough rod for shad that can pin themselves to the bottom of the river. Fly bloody Maria period. Us shad guys have made quite a few other variations and the Maria will produce on any given day. For evenings Jeff and I like one called a badder Santa....

Line a 400 rio max short. Tips depends on water. Who ever tells you they use only one don't know crap about shad.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

7 weight rod with a type 4 shooting head on intermediate running line. I also carry heads from floating to deep sink. It all depends on the amount of water and the flow as to which head I will use. Straight 12 pound flouro for a leader with a bloody maria or something similar for the fly.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    7 weight rod with a type 4 shooting head on intermediate running line. I also carry heads from floating to deep sink. It all depends on the amount of water and the flow as to which head I will use. Straight 12 pound flouro for a leader with a bloody maria or something similar for the fly.
    12 pound? I didn't think I could get away with anything over 8....
    Might try heavier this year on the yak.

Go to set up for the American: 6119 Method, 425 Skagit Max, 15 ft DC tips, 12 lb flouro tippet, and the Maria (and variations).

Jeff....what does the "DC" stand for in a 15 ft DC tip? And this may be nit picking but do you think the flouro tippet makes a difference. I have been using 10lb Maxima for years now with, admittedly, limited success and I have to blame it on something.
    Anne
    "So it goes"

Anne, DC stands for density compensated and fluorocarbon has a sink rate opposed to the buoyant mono. Does it really matter? Time to get the snorkel and mask out this summer and do some R&D under water.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Vitale View Post
    Jeff....what does the "DC" stand for in a 15 ft DC tip? And this may be nit picking but do you think the flouro tippet makes a difference. I have been using 10lb Maxima for years now with, admittedly, limited success and I have to blame it on something.
    Anne
    What flies are you using and how big? Also floro will sink better then mono. These fish are funny. I will explain. One of the past seasons I was using a T11 and getting real good number of fish. My brother next to me was running T8 and nowhere near what I was getting. He switched and boom good to go. It's why I said mess around with tips. Don't just listen to someone telling you this works and that's it. Because I will tell you the next day it might change. Also time of the day matters on where the fish are in the water column. Hope this helps.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Hey Aron,

Is the TCX 6119 your go to rod for coastal steelhead streams too?

Or do you jump up to a 7 wt switch rod? Just wondering. I know,
    should have posted this on spey forum but too lazy.

EO