Thread: Lake Davis Triploids

Default Lake Davis Triploids

On a earlier thread i put a post on it that it would be nice to have some sterile trout (triploid) planted into Lake Davis so we wouldn't lose our big trout every year when the do there spawning run.
    I took my wife over to get her fishing license at the Nimbus hatchery and i was talking to a DFG person about planting sterile trout into Lake Davis and he gave me a phone # for the Plumas Co fish biologist and said that she could answer my questions. I gave her a call and she said that DFG has been planting sterile trout into Lake Davis .....WOW..... my prayers have been answered, those big toads are going to get bigger.
    She also said that they are going to keep planting Eagle Lake trout into the lake to keep the natural spawning that has been going on, and DFG didn't do any trout planting last fall because of the low lake level.

Has anyone heard anything about the Triploids that have planted in Lake Davis?
    Last edited by gene goss; 04-01-2016 at 08:40 AM.

That's news to me. What I've heard is that only Eagle Lake strain fish were planted in Lake Davis. Glad to see they are mixing it up.

What about bringing the Kamloops back !

Rumors are circulating about a bunch of brown trout which were dumped into the lake by F&W. Apparently they had some trouble with one of their planter trucks and ended up putting these fish into Lake Davis just because it was nearby. Not sure if this is true or not, I've taken one brown trout in all my years of fishing the lake, but I could live with it.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Rumors are circulating about a bunch of brown trout which were dumped into the lake by F&W. Apparently they had some trouble with one of their planter trucks and ended up putting these fish into Lake Davis just because it was nearby. Not sure if this is true or not, I've taken one brown trout in all my years of fishing the lake, but I could live with it.

I thought I read that a huge brown was caught during the ice derby this year.

I got my first bass out of Davis last year.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

JPS.....from what i was told by the fish biologist any strain of trout could be made sterile (triploids), Eagle Lake Triploids....WOW that would be interesting to hook into.

FRSam......she said that no brown's have been planted intently into Lake Davis, but at the hatchery the raceway for the rainbow trout and the brown trout are side by side and that some of the brown trout jumped over into the rainbow trout raceway and got planted into Lake Davis.

Scott.....a brown trout did win the ice derby this year, and she said that sunfish, bass, and minnows are in the lake now, not sure how they got in there.

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    . . . she said that sunfish, bass, and minnows are in the lake now, not sure how they got in there.
    Hmmmm, they poisoned the lake to get rid of all the pike, and that killed all the other fish too. Now there are bass and sunfish? Wonder how, no strike that, wonder WHO did that.