Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Davis

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Sure James, post a link. When ever I've inquired with Fish & Game the answer has always been Lake Davis is a put and take fishery. I think many local people feel lowering the limit would detour people from wanting to fish the lake thus hurting the local economy. We always sight the two fish limit at Eagle Lake which clearly shows limiting numbers does not decrease popularity.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Well, I had a nice talk today with an old friend at DFW, in response to my email to him.
    Davis is managed as a "put and grow" fishery, like Crowley lake, and is planted to their best (conservative) yearly estimate of the lake's biological capacity. Reducing the kill won't result in more fish, because they replace what they estimate was taken.

The far greater problem is political. A petition to reduce limits would HAVE to originate with and be very strongly supported by the local business community. As he said, "no way, never has happened, never will. Big stringers of dead fish are money."
    His cynicism aside, I could see his point since I've been to enough public comment meetings to understand that DFW won't stick it's neck out on this without lots of local support first.

Now, if there were a way to do that . . .

As you inferred I don't think that's going to happen James, local business is never going to support a reduced limit. Look what it took to convince them that the second treatment needed to be done. How F&G can possibly get an accurate estimate of fish taken is beyond me. It's interesting I've always been under the impression fewer fish meant bigger fish.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

I'm sure you're right about size, I think he was talking in generalities. Fewer but bigger would be fine by me!
    From previous experiences I knew they use a statistical method from all their encounters with the public to estimate take. I'd guess that over time they have a pretty good idea.
    My friend was in Sac headquarters when the pike thing went down, he was very clear about how ugly that was.

I doubt you could get local support for a regs change. One thing that MIGHT be possible that would do a lot to improve the fishery would be to lobby the SWRCB to keep more water in the lake. Say never let it drop below 70%. Higher water level = higher overall productivity in the lake = more fish with a lot of food to eat and get fat. With the involvement of TU and Caltrout you might be able to get support from the local buisness community.

yes, i understand that it's a long shot. especially with the drought. But it's the only way I can think of to improve the fishery with local support. If the water is there nature will do the rest.

anyway, my 2 cents. looking forward to fishing davis as often as i can this year.

I talked with the water master last year about the rumors of the lake being drained to keep the water levels up at Orville and he assured me that this was not the case. The water being released from the lake was in line with previous year releases. There just wasn't as much water...we're looking pretty good at the moment...it's snowing outside as I type. Davis is a special lake, even with the low water she still provided some excellent fishing.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach