Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Davis

Default Lake Davis

Anyone know if Davis and Frenchman are ice free?

Here's a web site for the grizzly store at Lake Davis.....Frenchman is ice free and Lake Davis is also ice free.....with the storms coming and going the roads around both lakes has changeable conditions.

http://grizzlystore.portola-ca.com/F...t/default.html
    Last edited by gene goss; 03-21-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Just saw the report, it's fishing well. Saw a photo of someones tailgate full of fish. If you want to keep this lake as one of the great fisheries in NorCal. Catch all you can, but limit your keep to what you can eat that night, not what you can fill your freezer with. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
    Just saw the report, it's fishing well. Saw a photo of someones tailgate full of fish. If you want to keep this lake as one of the great fisheries in NorCal. Catch all you can, but limit your keep to what you can eat that night, not what you can fill your freezer with. Just saying.
    Did you know there's a CADFG procedure called Petition for regulation change? I'm wondering if I'm not the only one thinking the limits at Davis might be a little too high. Perhaps a 2 or 3 fish limit might be wiser.

You can fill the form out online easily, print it out, see how many at your local club will sign on.
    We can be a little proactive. I'll do it, anyone else?

Sure James, post a link. When ever I've inquired with Fish & Game the answer has always been Lake Davis is a put and take fishery. I think many local people feel lowering the limit would detour people from wanting to fish the lake thus hurting the local economy. We always sight the two fish limit at Eagle Lake which clearly shows limiting numbers does not decrease popularity.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Sure James, post a link. When ever I've inquired with Fish & Game the answer has always been Lake Davis is a put and take fishery. I think many local people feel lowering the limit would detour people from wanting to fish the lake thus hurting the local economy. We always sight the two fish limit at Eagle Lake which clearly shows limiting numbers does not decrease popularity.

Pete
    Aka FeatherRiverSam
    Thanks for echoing what we've been trying to get accomplished for over a decade Pete. Looking forward to hanging out with you and Woody next week. - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

We're overdue Jon...Woody's all set!
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Maybe I will see you guys in a couple of weeks. I'm fishing Lake Siskiyou and McCloud this weekend, I will check out your link, I think the only way of getting some momentum is like Jon and I discussed a while back, and that is getting it out with the clubs and on the blogs of all fly fisherman and state how a lower limit of kept fish will not hurt the local economy.
    Should be a great weekend to fish!

Lake Davis has the same problem that Eagle Lake has, when the trout reach that age to spawn they will look for any water flowing into the lake and they will follow the flow as far as they can, and then the snow or water run off will dry up and all these beautiful big trout are left high and dry.
    This post show's that all these trout were ready to spawn, it is sad to see all these big trout with a death sentences every year that we have a good snow run off into the lake. During the drought years without the snow run off into the lake those big trout stayed in the lake and got bigger, that was the best part of the drought is that we had some very big trout to fish for.

http://norcal.fishreports.com/fish_r...ake-report.php
    I think the answer is plant some TRIPLOID trout into the lake.
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/blogs/pr...e-triploids-2/
    Last edited by gene goss; 03-25-2016 at 09:59 AM.

This is very true Gene, not too long ago Jonny posted a picture of some of these stranded trout just off the west side road, there must have been 15 or more beautiful 18" plus fish stuck in this puddle. I know this happens all around the lake. We've talked about putting weirs in to block these feeder creeks but have been meant with nothing but deaf ears. The weirs would not only protect the fish from being left stranded but would also prevent poachers from netting fish in the shallow feeder creeks which occurs on a regular basis.
    John Gierach