Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to know why they increased the flows from Shasta Dam from 5000 cfs to 20,000 cfs

When something is changed in our water distribution, the people who control California's water will tell the public a story that is not necessarily true.

It has to do with the big money.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Like all political stuff and politicians .... Liars ,crooked and corrupt!

Anyone remember the movie Erin Brockovich? I would like anyone attacking or belittling this report to step up and drink that nice glass of water flowing down from Redding. How many cities take there drinking from the Sacramento River? Yuck !!
    I'm sure our government and the water powers would not lie to us, ever hear of Flint?
    Last edited by jerry from sac; 03-21-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Like all political stuff and politicians .... Liars ,crooked and corrupt!
    And the truth shall set you free.................... It about sums it up. :\
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I thought I read recently the increase in flows were due to the winter time capacity which was set at 60% for flood control later in the year. Shasta was at 86% capacity prior to the increased flows. None the less, it is interesting to read others' take on the situation for the increased flows. The water has to go somewhere sooner or later. Reducing capacity now to prevent flooding at a future date seems reasonable to me. How soon we forget when low rain/snowfall years skew our thought process.

http://www.spk-wc.usace.army.mil/fcg...s=0&report=FCR

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reservoirs/RES

It very simple, Shasta lake is within 20 ft of the spillway. The inflows have been as much as 110,000 cfs. If it continued filling at that rate it would be over the spillway in no time at all. Remember the primary purpose of Shasta Lake is not to provide water or power, it is for flood control of the valley down to Sacramento. This is what's happening right now. Given the forecast it is lowering to 5,000cfs over the next few days. A benefit to the increased flows, these are the highest they have been in five years, is some scouring of the gravels in the Redding/Cottonwood areas to clean and improve fish habitat and spawning redds. What is forgotten it the trout fishery benefits greatly from this recent weather, not because the trout/steelhead spawn in the river, but these fish prefer to spawn in all the feeder creeks that have been dry for many years. After the last El Niño of 87-88 the trout fishing was the best I've ever seen it. I've been guiding here exclusively for the last 22 years. I hope next year will be the same, I might be tempted to end my semi retirement.
    Oh, the color of the water at the moment is like hot chocolate, so unless you know exactly what you are doing don't expect to many fish if you make the trip.

Last edited by gitt; 03-25-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: stirring up the mud