Thread: Glossy Thread Body Nymph

Default Glossy Thread Body Nymph

Hello All

Have had a question for a while and never thought to ask on this board. I have been wanting to create that glossy look to thread body nymphs. I have tried a couple of different things...like Hard Head etc... I get maybe 50% to turn out...the others dry sloppy or incomplete and just don't look right.

Does anyone have any tricks? Maybe a certain brand of glue/cement that works really well? It's a pain in the #@$@# to have half or more of the flies I try to create that effect with basically be trash.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Fish ON

Default Adhesives....

It sounds like your adhesive is soaking into the material rather than drying on top. I've been using Sally Hansen's, Hard As Nails or many years and haven't experienced what you describe. Maybe your glue is too thin to accomplishing the affect you're after. You might consider using one of the UV cure adhesives, if you haven't already tried them....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    It sounds like your adhesive is soaking into the material rather than drying on top. I've been using Sally Hansen's, Hard As Nails or many years and haven't experienced what you describe. Maybe your glue is too thin to accomplishing the affect you're after. You might consider using one of the UV cure adhesives, if you haven't already tried them....

Thanks Darian! Do you use the clear Sally Hansen's labeled Hardener? If not can you send a link? The Hardener is the only clear coat I can find. Thanks again.

I use Loon UV Fly Finish in thick, thin, or "flow" depending on the size of the fly and the desired effect.

Also, look into acetate floss. I haven't personally used it (yet), but it's a cool concept. You wrap the body with the floss, then apply acetate which melts the floss ever so slightly. Good video: https://vimeo.com/123675307

I second what Mr F had to say, The Loon UV finish and a cheap UV light for curing will give you that glossy look you want. I would probably try the "thin" finish for coating a thread body. The "thick" works great for wing cases etc.

Question Hardener...???

I haven't seen a Sally Hansen's Hardener product. What I use is "Hard As Nails' clear nail polish. No hardener required. It's available in CVS or Rite-Aid stores around here. it's cheaper than using a UV cure adhesive but can thicken in the bottle over time due to evaporation. Thins with acetone.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by VinnySteel View Post
    I second what Mr F had to say, The Loon UV finish and a cheap UV light for curing will give you that glossy look you want. I would probably try the "thin" finish for coating a thread body. The "thick" works great for wing cases etc.
    Thank you for all the help! I actually use Loon UV for wing cases...didn't realize they had a "thin." I will give both the Sally Hansens and the Loon UV Thin a try and see what I like better.

Appreciate the time and thoughts guys!

Fish ON