Thread: Klamath Lake

Default Klamath Lake

I grew up fishing the Klamath Lake, it's home of some the coolest trout on the planet. If you know where the springs are the Klamath has some fantastic fishing in the summer. as the lake warms it pushes monster trout into either its tributaries such as the Williamson River or the Wood, but it also pushes fish into the cold water springs throughout the system. although the Wood and Williamson are a blast I often find myself on the lake when they become choked full of boats. The fun part about the Klamath is that the springs also foster a ton of aquatic insects, so much so that the fish hunt the weed beds in packs. Once they pack up, and if you know where to go you will find the most aggressive trout I have ever seen slurping damsels by the hundreds. with all the food at their disposal the Klamath Redbands Grow to enormous sizes. each year we get fish weighing in the double digits!

If you would like to see more about this fishery and how to fish it check out my blog here

http://southernoregonflyfishing.blog...and-trout.html

Thanks for the heads up Nate.....

Maybe 20 years ago my friend and mentor, Al Perryman, use to guide up there on the Williamson and Rogue Rivers.

He took me over to Klamath Lake one day to show me around and talk about the fisheries.

In those days a famous native American guide, Rich Henry, was friends with Al and showed him around Klamath Lake.

I think the Klamath Lake, Agency Lake and the Williamson and Wood Rivers are some of the most historic fisheries in southern Oregon.

I guess there are just too many places to fish in Oregon?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Nate.....

Maybe 20 years ago my friend and mentor, Al Perryman, use to guide up there on the Williamson and Rogue Rivers.

He took me over to Klamath Lake one day to show me around and talk about the fisheries.

In those days a famous native American guide, Rich Henry, was friends with Al and showed him around Klamath Lake.

I think the Klamath Lake, Agency Lake and the Williamson and Wood Rivers are some of the most historic fisheries in southern Oregon.

I guess there are just too many places to fish in Oregon?

That is to cool Bill, Rich use to help all us kids out! I'll never for get watching him pull one fish after another out of the springs. It wasn't until years later that I finally figured out how he was fishing it. Good Stuff! If you ever find yourself up here Bill, look me up.

I'm headed to Klamath Falls for Spring Break. The missus wants to go see Crater Lake and she has promised me a day of fishing. Where do you recommend for the last week of March/first week of April? there's a LOT of water on the map!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I'm headed to Klamath Falls for Spring Break. The missus wants to go see Crater Lake and she has promised me a day of fishing. Where do you recommend for the last week of March/first week of April? there's a LOT of water on the map!
    Bob, I would hit the Buoys in pelican bay! (Rocky Point) I like stripping big leaches that time of year. Did you know the Sprague was open year around now? that would be my first choice in April for the basin!

Awesome! thanks for the tips.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Rich Henry used to teach a good friend and mentor of mine Andy Burk about the waters up there. Andy held Rich in the highest regards for his fishing and tying skills. I have a couple steelhead ties of Richs that Andy gave me for inspiration. Andy went and visited Rich a few years back(maybe 4?) and they got out on the Smith and Chetco together and had a grand old time. I like how Rich has an air of mystique around him. He's a throw back to the old style of guiding that I wished we still lived in.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Its cool that there are a ton of people who know Rich. he was good to us kids!