Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: inexpensive tying materials online?

Thank's Darian.

I have checked on a few and there are some pretty good deals to be found.Also got a couple tips on a couple more sites to check on.My local walmart has spinnerbaits for $1 i can use for tails.I also cut a bungee tie down strap and found lots of leg material.Bill had a great idea with the feather dusters.I found one cheap with feathers and also one made of synthetic fibers like hair.Craft store has quite a bit of stuff.Great idea!Also have some old crappie jigs the paint has been knocked off but the maribou tails are in great condition.Thank's.
    Josh

Be careful of using rubber stuff like the bungee cord fibers in your flies. Rubber breaks down and gets brittle very quickly. Use silicone based materials instead. Also many materials in craft stores look good but disintegrate quickly when in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    Be careful of using rubber stuff like the bungee cord fibers in your flies. Rubber breaks down and gets brittle very quickly. Use silicone based materials instead. Also many materials in craft stores look good but disintegrate quickly when in the water.
    Thanks Fisheye.
    Josh

Some stuff not intended for fly tying but looking like tying material (some craft store feathers, etc.) might bleed color too, so be careful about mixing wet flies in your boxes.
    .....lee s.
    Last edited by lee s.; 02-26-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Mike O Guest

If you can find Aberdeen hooks (cricket hooks), they are great for streamers and longer flies like stimulators. And they are much cheaper.
    Find a hunter. Get your feathers and furs from them. Sportsman's warehouse clearances their hooks periodically. Some fly shops have discount materials bins.

Thanks Lee.I have ran into this problem already with the cheap feathers from walmart.Thanks for the tip.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    If you can find Aberdeen hooks (cricket hooks), they are great for streamers and longer flies like stimulators. And they are much cheaper.
    Find a hunter. Get your feathers and furs from them. Sportsman's warehouse clearances their hooks periodically. Some fly shops have discount materials bins.
    Thanks Mike.Great info.I appreciate it.
    Josh

Josh,

You never did mention what type of fishing you do, or if you did I missed it. If as one would guess from your location, you are primarily fishing warm-water, then your problem is considerably more simple than for the average trout fisherman. As mentioned, stay away from "fly fishing" specialty hooks and try something a bit more generic like the Mustad 3399 or 3366 for your patterns. Other than stuff you can find at most craft stores (foam, glass beads, etc.), you will find that most locations have close to the same prices for fly tying materials, although there are some online vendors such as Fly Tyer's Dungeon that has good rates on knock-off materials.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Josh,

You never did mention what type of fishing you do, or if you did I missed it. If as one would guess from your location, you are primarily fishing warm-water, then your problem is considerably more simple than for the average trout fisherman. As mentioned, stay away from "fly fishing" specialty hooks and try something a bit more generic like the Mustad 3399 or 3366 for your patterns. Other than stuff you can find at most craft stores (foam, glass beads, etc.), you will find that most locations have close to the same prices for fly tying materials, although there are some online vendors such as Fly Tyer's Dungeon that has good rates on knock-off materials.
    Thanks JD.I am fishing warmwater and targeting bass and panfish.Anything else that may bite would just be an unexpected bonus.I have bought some of the aberdeen hooks and have ordered a few hooks online i found at a good price.That Fly Tyers Dungeon looks like a really good site as far as the prices.Thanks.
    Josh

There was a whole set up on Craigslist Sacramento in sporting goods. It had a vice and a lot of material on the plate for 35 bucks. You could tie a lot of flies with all that was there. Check it out if still available.

Jake