Thread: Reports from the Eel?

Default Reports from the Eel?

Anyone know what the Eel and South Fork are looking like? Thinking of heading up there this weekend. The levels look good but I'm wondering about the clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Reese View Post
    Anyone know what the Eel and South Fork are looking like? Thinking of heading up there this weekend. The levels look good but I'm wondering about the clarity.
    Had a buddy that drove past the south fork yesterday, said it looked good. Haven't looked at the flows but if they look good, I'd imagine it's running pretty clear since there hasn't been much rain up that way. Don't know about the main stem.

Looking at the flows, the SF is primo. Clear up top (Leggett), and greener as you get down towards Miranda.

Big Eel flowing around 8K. That's still too high to effectively fish.

For reference......Eric (EO on this Board) and I spent a few days up there the w/e of Feb 12-15. Eric in his kayak and me in my pontoon.....floated the SF from Miranda down to Meyers Flat with similar flows as they are currently, maybe a little lower. We didn't catch any fish, but the guys drifting roe were getting into them. Fly guys fishing eggs under indo's got a couple, but the bait guys definitely outfish the fly guys on the SF.

Sunday we floated the Big Eel from Holmes down to Stafford. Clarity was a little off, but got better throughout the day. Water was milky green, very fishable. However, the flows were just too high. With those flows on the big Eel, it's tough to find fish cuz the water is just to expansive. The holding slots are not visible and the fish could be literally anywhere. If I recall, the flows were around 6,000cfs on the Scotia gauge. When I lived up there and fished the Eel alot, I liked flows around 3,000cfs. Most people drive over the bridges on the Eel and see this huge river with no character. However, once the flows get down to around 3K, the river gives up it's secrets. There are lots of runs and slots and pools, etc where fish will hold. Just can't see them when the water is high. Anyway, I had one fish on for about 3 seconds, but that was it for the day.

The Van Duzen is running a tad high now also, but might be ok for the weekend. I like that river around 600cfs or so.

I would imagine that the SF is gonna be a zoo on the weekends as it was when we were there. Lots and lots of driftboats. So if you go, go somewhere that the armada won't get to until later in the day. But that might be hard to find. I think most folks are drifting in the Garberville/Benbow area. So further down stream, say Meyers Flat, you may find some solitude for a while.

Good luck.

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    For reference......Eric (EO on this Board) and I spent a few days up there the w/e of Feb 12-15. Eric in his kayak and me in my pontoon.....floated the SF from Miranda down to Meyers Flat with similar flows as they are currently, maybe a little lower. We didn't catch any fish, but the guys drifting roe were getting into them. Fly guys fishing eggs under indo's got a couple, but the bait guys definitely outfish the fly guys on the SF.

~Jeff

This pretty much sums up the SF Eel hahaha..... two years ago when water was in pristine condition my brother and I thought we would get into some nice fish. Nothing though and he was gear fishing.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

We had high hopes Aron, especially since it hadn't been fished because of the flows.

Alas, the coastal steelhead search continues.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by EO View Post
    We had high hopes Aron, especially since it hadn't been fished because of the flows.

Alas, the coastal steelhead search continues.

EO

HAHAHA! Same with the trip I was on Shoot the water looked so freakin good it was not even funny! After day one we ran into Kenny P out of Eureka and we had a good chat. They have covered a few miles of water and only one fish landed and one that got away. So to say we stood a chance was not even close haha! We then headed down the main Eel and Van Duzen where we got into fish. But at 6k the main as Jeff said not fishable much.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks for all the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

My friends had some success (gear guys) on the Duzen and on a nearby small coastal stream a couple days ago.

Some fish are around those rivers anyway.

Good luck, Reese.

I concur with the other reports, it may be worth swinging the Mad, use bigger and darker flies, consider an 8 wt.

Well the conditions were as good as I've ever seen them on the South Fork, perfect flows and 3-4 foot visibility. Unfortunately the fish were nowhere to be found. My friend did hook a small 10 inch chromer on the swing,but that was it. Talked to a bunch of the drift boats who were all bouncing roe and they were averaging a fish or less a boat. None of the waders had caught anything either. We hit up a number of my favorite runs between Phillipsville and the confluence but nary a tug was given up. Could be that the run is pretty much over or that we needed to go further upstream. Bummer, but that's steelheading. Still had a great time seeing how much the river has changed over the years.