Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A few bird photo's

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Been trying to get a good shot of the spotted towhee that's been hanging out back last week or so but he's so skittish. As soon as I work my way around the corner of the house he flies deeper into the scrub. I'll get him. Got these just now ....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white crowned sparrow in thorn bush.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	784.1 KB 
ID:	19820

Name:	female closeup.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	882.2 KB 
ID:	19821

Name:	calif ground squirrel.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	790.4 KB 
ID:	19822

What kind of quail?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That's a female California quail. I was down at my mom's in Arizona last week and saw some Gambel's quails but didn't have my camera. Would have been nice to have a comparison shot.

That is a nice quail. They are on my list. I see and hear them but have not gotten anywhere close to getting a photo. I think mostly I see the mountain quail.

The towhee is a good looking but elusive bird. I have walked up on a couple and gotten a picture before they spooked. Mostly they are buried in the bushes but sometimes they help you out and jump up on a perch. I found one that was singing in the same area for about three weeks but l could not get close. I expect he was a male with a nearby nest.

The quail around here are like chickens. They'll spook at any passing shadow, movement, etc. but usually don't go far and they have a short memory and return to feed in a few minutes. Pretty easy to get close if you stand still for a few minutes. I always laugh when we get a group of quail with a couple doves mixed in. The quail spook under the thorn bush and the doves are left standing all alone out in the open. It's like they suddenly realize everyone left and they're saying "Hey, where'd everyone go?" Most of the time when I find a mess of feathers in the backyard it's a dove too slow to react to the sharped shinned and Cooper's hawks that patrol the feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Been trying to get a good shot of the spotted towhee that's been hanging out back last week or so but he's so skittish. As soon as I work my way around the corner of the house he flies deeper into the scrub. I'll get him. Got these just now ....

Name:	white crowned sparrow in thorn bush.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	784.1 KB 
ID:	19820 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	female closeup.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	882.2 KB 
ID:	19821 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calif ground squirrel.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	790.4 KB 
ID:	19822
    The photos are really beautiful. Every time we look at them, we feel very peaceful. I look forward to your next photos.
    Last edited by ingridguerci94; 04-07-2024 at 08:25 PM.

Thank you. John gets out way more than I do. But with spring coming on we should start to see some different birds and hopefully be able to get some photos. I saw a Sharp sinned hawk feeding on a dove he captured yesterday morning but didn't have my camera with me. There was a big pile of feathers all around him.
    Doug