Thread: What to start with?

Default What to start with?

Hi everyone.I am new to tying and want to ask what i can get for the basics to start with?I really don't want to buy a kit because i may get stuck with a lot of stuff i may never use.I have an old thompson vise and a great pair of scissors,couple rolls of thread and the thread holder.I will fish for bass and panfish mostly.Not a lot of trout around here.I thought maybe i could start with wooly buggers and some surface flies.What feathers do i need which hooks do you all prefer for them?Also what would you think would be cheap and easy for a new guy to tie for bass and panfish?I live on a small disability check so not a rich guy here.Just trying to learn to tie a few cheap flies.Also i only have a 5wt rod for now so casting something big may be impossible for me.Thanks for the help.

Josh

Default What to Tie??

I've used a green spider (floating/sinking) for many years on Bluegill/Crappie around here. Cheap, simple and seems to work well. Sinking pattern follows:

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S, sizes from 8 down to 10 (your choice), larger sizes 4/2 have produced some Bass, as well as Bluegill/Crappie.
    Thread: Bright green (not chartreuse).
    Tail: White or barred black/white round rubber legs (length of body and splayed).
    Body: Bright green chenille (not too bulky).
    Legs: White round rubber legs (tie in while wrapping the body or at front)
    Wire weighting optional.

You can tie a bunch of these very cheaply. Also, you can make a floating version by using a pre-shaped foam body instead of chenille. This fly is easily cast on your light rod and will get you in the game. It's been successful for me over the years.

Good luck!! Looking forward to reports of your trips.
    Last edited by Darian; 02-23-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

check pm's
    ....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I've used a green spider (floating/sinking) for many years on Bluegill/Crappie around here. Cheap, simple and seems to work well. Sinking pattern follows:

Hook: Gamakatsu B10S, sizes from 8 down to 10 (your choice), larger sizes 4/2 have produced some Bass, as well as Bluegill/Crappie.
    Thread: Bright green (not chartreuse).
    Tail: White or barred black/white round rubber legs (length of body and splayed).
    Body: Bright green chenille (not too bulky).
    Legs: White round rubber legs (tie in while wrapping the body or at front)
    Wire weighting optional.

You can tie a bunch of these very cheaply. Also, you can make a floating version by using a pre-shaped foam body instead of chenille. This fly is easily cast on your light rod and will get you in the game. It's been successful for me over the years.

Good luck!! Looking forward to reports of your trips.
    Thank's Darian.I have tried to tie a fly sort of like this one.I used a eagle claw hook size 8.It may be heavier than the one you suggested.Will it make a difference?I also used black chenille.It was all i could find at the time.I found it at my local walmart.I also used white legs and tail i got from a spinnerbait skirt.The flies sink but slowly.I will weight a few.Do you just use copper wire for the weight or is there a better wire to use?Thanks for all your help.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by lee s. View Post
    check pm's
    ....lee s.
    Thank's Lee.
    Josh

Cool Bluegill Bug

The choice of hooks is yours. I find the Gammie, B10S is easy to tie with and has a wide gap for hooking fish. Weight can be added to the shank in the form of lead or tungsten wire (fine diameter) or you can choose a heavier hook. It just makes for different sink rates. If the fish are shallow, no weight necessary. Don't concern yourself with whether to use green or another color chenille. Pick the color that you or the fish like best in your area.

I've found that using what legs allows you to see a fish take the bug (the white suddenly disappears) even if you don't feel it. This type bug should fish well in farm ponds.

A good source of instruction for tying Bass/Bluegill/Crappie flies is youtube.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I can see where the wider gap would work better.Mine is a little crowded by the hook point.The white is a great idea too.I never thought of seeing the fly in the water.I am used to fishing zoom worms or lizards on the bottom with a bass rod.I need to change my way of thinking.Thank's for the youtube tip.There are hundreds of fly tyers on there.They make it look too easy.
    Josh