Thread: New member

Default New member

Hi everyone.My name is Josh.I am a new member here.Just registered yesterday.I am located in Kentucky.Stumbled onto this site while looking for fly fishing forums.I noticed that this forum includes a bass and panfish section.I am glad to see it.Most forums i have seen are mainly about fly fishing for trout.I am brand new to fly fishing and also new to fly tying so i enjoy seeing all the posts here.I have already learned a great deal just by browsing through the posts.
    I am not new to fishing.I am in my 50's now and fished most my life with spinning and baitcasting gear.I took a long break to serve in the military.Now i enjoy fishing more than ever and wanted to try something new and fly fishing was the one style of fishing i had not tried.I also live in an area where there are no fly shops so i cannot test or buy equipment or flies easily.It has been a process trying to learn to cast and the basics.But i am learning.Enough said.Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know i will probably be asking a lot of questions.
    Last edited by Flycaster; 02-22-2016 at 02:52 PM.

We have a lot of bass n panfish folks on our message board.

We are very excited to have you in our family of fly fishers.

If you need to buy some stuff for bass and panfish be sure to call Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company on Sat or Sun and ask for Andy.

We have a toll free phone number for you to use for any reason.

1-800-410/1222

He is a real good bass guy....

If you get to our area in the spring, summer or fall I am sure some of us will take you fishing.

Wonder if anyone else on this message board is in Kentucky?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Josh, retired Army here so I know where you are coming from. I would check to see if there any fly fishing clubs in your area. Two good sources for this information, since you have no fly shops nearby, is the International Federation of Flyfishers (IFFF) or Trout Unlimited (TU). Both have lists of affiliated clubs all over the US.

Thank you Bill and Thanks for the great information.

Charlie S, I was army also.I don't think i have any fly fishing clubs near me.We have a lot of bass fishing clubs but they are setup for the local tournaments and usually don't have a place for fly fishing.I have thought of joining one of these organizations online but i will have to check into the cost.I have a very limited budget.Thanks for the information.I really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum, Josh! Lots of great people here who are going to be valuable sources for information. Looking forward to seeing what you bring to the forum. From one vet to another; Thank you for your service!

Tight lines,
    Gary

Josh. I just checked the IFFF site and the only affiliated club is this:

Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers

Burlington, KY

http://www.nkflyfisher.org

Yearly dues are $30, but I would check on disabled vet rates. You could also ask for advice on fishing your area via email if Burlington isn't near you.
    Last edited by Charlie S; 02-22-2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correct info

flycaster,
    Welcome.....we love your kinds of piscatorial targets. We got to experience BIG bass and water moccasins in Kansas in the service in the late 60's.
    Check your private messages.
    .......lee s.

Thank's for the welcome Gary and Thank You for your service also.
    Josh

Thank's Charlie.I am in the south eastern part of my state.That would be a pretty good drive.I did go to the IFFF website and seen that they have a great fly pattern database and a lot of really great info on casting.I have plenty of places to fish in my area.I am surrounded by farm ponds and some great lakes.I am just trying to convert from conventional fishing to fly fishing.Lately i have taken up several new hobbies to pass time and Fly fishing is one of them.Photography is another.I enjoy the outdoors.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by lee s. View Post
    flycaster,
    Welcome.....we love your kinds of piscatorial targets. We got to experience BIG bass and water moccasins in Kansas in the service in the late 60's.
    Check your private messages.
    .......lee s.
    Thank you Lee and thank's for the pm.Great info there.
    Josh