Thread: Carp on the Fly

Default Carp on the Fly

Catching a carp on a fly rod is on my list of things to do this year, if anyone has any experience with possible locations I would love to know! I have caught carp in the Suisun Grizzly Island Marsh but that was with corn... what are some good fly patterns it might also need?

Blackfoot Resevoir, east of Blackfoot, Idaho. Huge carp, lots of shallow coves. Any fly that has a bulky brown body and rubber legs. They don't seem to be overly picky. If they won't take a fly they're easy pickins with a bow. Lots of fun either way.

Drive way back into Suisun Marsh and fish the canals. Ralph Cutter has written some articles on carp fishing and I believe his favorite fly is an egg pattern. Think yellow sucker spawn. If you get desperate throw some corn in the water after a while. Or soak the egg in the corn juice. Ralph wouldn't use corn or corn juice, but just saying if you want to catch more fish…. I did catch one on a clouser back there and it was big!!!

Way back in the canals... do you mean inside of the preserve? Past the boat launch or is that to far?

Down farther past the DFG station around Frost Slough. In May and June you can see carp feeding on what I guess is some form of cottonwood on top. Try a white yarn indicator with a hook for those.

Our Winston, Galvan and Scientific Angler Rep, Darin Elmore, up in Reno, Nevada is a carp kinda guy.

Like many, I have caught them as a kid on dough balls but not on flies.

I think you need to be in a carp kinda place at the right time.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

First, if you find some carp study their habits, see what they are doing. Your best chance to get a carp on the fly is when they are clooping, mudding or tailers. I've been going almost every day looking for these 'golden bones". I've found a few but nothing real big, yet. Some of the patterns that I use are bottom dweller flys.... chartreuse/black tail, black dubbed UV body, rubber legs and 3/32 barbell eyes. I tie these on jig hooks (kinda helps snagging up). Size 4 and 6. I also have what I call a dough ball fly for when they are clooping. I use white egg yarn on a egg hook. I also soak them with scotch guard to help them float. Let it dry real good before using. Another good pattern is a crawdad pattern, doesn't need to be real fancy.
    I'll be tying carp and bass fly's at the Pleasanton show next weekend. I think I have the 4pm slot time on Friday. I'll also be tying them at the tying tables.. I will also be selling them on my website www.fliesunlimited.com I'm in the process of redoing this whole site and just selling flies ONLY. I will also have surf perch patterns, warm water, bass, bone fish, permit, snook, etc.
    Watch for the new site in the coming weeks.
    Like Bill said, you need to be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully for me, the time is coming

Jay

From my experience, carp are a wild card when it comes to targeting them. Unless you can find an ideal fly fishing body of water for carp, shallow canals, rivers, or flats, they are difficult to specifically target. The right place at the right time as Bill mentioned is exactly how I would describe finding carp. I've heard a lot of good stuff about fly fishing for carp in Nevada especially during the summer.

There is a turbid pond that I visit in the spring when the weather warms. The pond is loaded with carp but I've only found them actively feeding 20% of my visits in the afternoon and in the evening. In addition to that, they are difficult to get to eat. A chartreuse egg pattern seems to be the only thing they'll eat. I probably hook up three times the whole year. Worth it though as it is a "bonefish" experience. I'm in search of local carp waters myself and though I've found carp, they won't eat.
    Tight lines!
    Last edited by mattv-mcfly; 02-20-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    First, if you find some carp study their habits, see what they are doing. Your best chance to get a carp on the fly is when they are clooping, mudding or tailers.
    Ditto. I spent 2 years targeting carp with little luck. I finally started targeting the "happy fish" and everything changed.

Don't waste your time with "cruisers" or "sleepers". Target the ones that are actively feeding by rooting around in the mud. You'll have to sight fish for them (and I haven't caught them any other way). I find the best time to carping is on a clear sunny day from 11a-2pm--not because they're more active at that time, but because it's easier to sightfish when the sun is high in the sky.

For the carp in my area I really like a Backstabber in olive black or burnt orange/rust (which looks like a crayfish). I tie them in different weights for different water depths. You want it to get down, but you don't want to make a splashy presentation. http://intheriffle.com/fishing-video...g/backstabber/

If you do spook a fish (and you will--they're spooky) move to the next spot. Carp excrete some sort of pheromone when they're scared that warns the other carp of the danger. (At least that's my limited understanding, but it matches my observations. Carpologists feel free to weigh in . . . )

I'm far from being a carp-master, but WOW it's fun.

Here's a good article: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...y-fishing-carp

Have fun!

Wow thanks for the info guys! @bajaflyfisher there is also another expo at the Marin Rod and gun club on March 20 do you think you will be in that one(easier drive for me)? I am going to try a small pond in Marin that i have heard has carp in there.... and also will try back the the Suisun marsh soon. Thanks for everything
    -Jose