Thread: Tying for steelhead

Default Tying for steelhead

I would consider my self an advanced fly fisher and Tyer, but the steelhead world is a whole new ball game. I'm reading a couple books to include Dec Hogans, and I understand that the fly pattern doesn't matter as much as matching a hatch. For those that tie steelhead/salmon flies, what is a good tying book you recommend for steelhead patterns for our area and the PNW?

I am also interested in this. What books are you currently reading right now? From what I've gathered and experienced there seems to be a million factors and conditions that make steelhead bite. I'd have to agree that not having something to specifically imitate makes tying for steelhead super challenging.
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

I tie steelhead flies and I would say you do not need a book with all the available videos on the internet. The Caddis Fly shop blog has a very good cross section of steelhead videos, You Tube has some great stuff. I believe with steelhead flies movement is more important than any other factor, so I often add rubber legs to the pattern and it seems to work, at least on the Trinity. Which brings up, it kind of depend where and what time of year you are fishing which is a whole topic unto itself. This probably doesn't directly answer your question but I would start with an Intruder style fly, some of the steelhead wet flies, and some of the steelhead type nymphs such as the Assassin. Have fun and I hope this helped a little.

Classic Steelhead Flies
    By author: John Shewey
    ISBN: 9780811713320

I've witnessed John's success on the water for decades. His tying skills are just as tremendous.
    Old school works for me.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Classic Steelhead Flies
    By author: John Shewey
    ISBN: 9780811713320

Second on this. Not just the patterns, but the history on steelheading and each individual fly, this is a tying book that you'll actually sit and read. His Spey and Dee Flies is another great one, especially for explaining techniques.

You need some steelhead flies in different sizes and different colors to be able to deal with all types of conditions.

Having some weighted flies might help.

Right off, try to fish as much as you can in October because the weather is more dependable.

I think you can get some good advise right here about certain rivers at certain times of the year.

I like to get samples from good shops or good guides or good anglers who know the water.

Be sure your flies are balanced so they don't spin while they are swinging across the current.

Black is a huge color, along with purple.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have posted this before, but it is good info. Herb Burton won't let you on his boat if you want to fish beads. Steelhead Muddler and the Silver Hilton. Forget about those Intruders and flies that look like bass jigs… http://trinityflyshop.com/blog/top-1...m-yum-eatm-up/

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post
    I have posted this before, but it is good info. Herb Burton won't let you on his boat if you want to fish beads. Steelhead Muddler and the Silver Hilton. Forget about those Intruders and flies that look like bass jigs… http://trinityflyshop.com/blog/top-1...m-yum-eatm-up/
    +1 on this statement. I've been fishing with Herb and Kit for several years now. These are must have effective patterns to fish steelhead in California using traditional methods. Especially.the muddler!

There is a lot of great information on tying steelhead flies on speypages. Look under the "hooks, feathers, and floss" section. Marty Howard and many others post step by step instructions on tying everything from skaters to tube flies to intruders. There is alos lots of information on books about tying.

Mary and Dec have an informative DVD that covers the basics of most steelhead flies which would be a good addition to getting the Shewey's book mentioned above. There are many good books on tying steelhead/atlantic salmon flies and I have too many. This a very rich area of exploration for the curious fly tyer to explore. Enjoy.