Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the "BIG" T

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeCount View Post
    The river is open from Trout Creek next to Truckee east to the state line. Hwy 80 follows the river. Pull off anywhere you feel like along that hwy stretch and explore. There's a bunch of pulloffs and multiple freeway exits that should all be fine for your vehicle. They all can have nice fishing with these flows.

Dan said it well. Tons of access and open water off I80. My experience has been the farther east you go the less crowds. And the window for action is later am and early afternoon. (Makes sense because warmest part of the day). But with such nice water and weather this week, I think you will have company. The health of this river is truly amazing after a real tough stretch.

Have fun and let us know what sort of bugs you see. Skwala should be appearing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Dan said it well. Tons of access and open water off I80. My experience has been the farther east you go the less crowds. And the window for action is later am and early afternoon. (Makes sense because warmest part of the day). But with such nice water and weather this week, I think you will have company. The health of this river is truly amazing after a real tough stretch.

Have fun and let us know what sort of bugs you see. Skwala should be appearing soon.
    Thanks! Will let you know what I see.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Fished for a few hours on Wednesday and just an hour or so on Thursday. It as really warm and flows seemed about perfect to me (I really don't have a point of reference) but mostly got my butt kicked. A couple of beautiful days on the water is still OK by me.

Flipped some rocks and saw exactly one skwala nymph. Tons of tiny baetis.

Sure would have liked to see some more snow though. Makes me nervous about all that water they are letting out of Folsom.

Good luck up there!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Quote Originally Posted by SteelieD View Post
    Fished for a few hours on Wednesday and just an hour or so on Thursday. It as really warm and flows seemed about perfect to me (I really don't have a point of reference) but mostly got my butt kicked. A couple of beautiful days on the water is still OK by me.

Flipped some rocks and saw exactly one skwala nymph. Tons of tiny baetis.

Sure would have liked to see some more snow though. Makes me nervous about all that water they are letting out of Folsom.

Good luck up there!

Fished yesterday and had the streamer rod along with the nymph. Not many on the water which was nice. Heck I didn't see another soul where I was.

As for the fishing.... Picked up 2 nice fish. One rainbow and one brown. Both in that 16-17" range. All down and dirty on baetis nymphs. Nobody chasing "My" streamers yet. Water still ice cold. Might have warmed to 41 or so by 2pm. Did see 2 small skwala stones crawling on me while I changed out flies. They are are coming soon.

Glad I'm not fishing the yuba. Sounds tough out there. I see a wet pattern late next week. Lets hope for a good March. If we get it I think the summer goes ok. (just ok)

Fished today 8-2 at Farad and Floriston. Hooked 3, didn't land any of them. All 3 looked to be rainbows 14-16" range. I was fishing size 14 winter stone and size 18 juju baetis.