Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the "BIG" T

I'm headed up to the Truckee in the morning. Was thinking about hitting the Verdi area, haven't been through that stretch since last year and was wondering if anyone has been up that way lately? I know the NV side was hit pretty hard with the drought but I heard that stretch managed to keep a little bit of water in it. Anybody fished that stretch lately it know what the conditions are like? Also if anybody has any suggestions on patterns to tie up before I go?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VinnySteel View Post
    I'm headed up to the Truckee in the morning. Was thinking about hitting the Verdi area, haven't been through that stretch since last year and was wondering if anyone has been up that way lately? I know the NV side was hit pretty hard with the drought but I heard that stretch managed to keep a little bit of water in it. Anybody fished that stretch lately it know what the conditions are like? Also if anybody has any suggestions on patterns to tie up before I go?

Thanks!

If you stay near Stateline you should be fine. That area held up pretty well. I've fished it but I want to say Mogul through downtown and of course east was hit much harder. I fished east about 2 months ago and it was crickets but keep in mind the water is 39-41 degrees and you are going to get some melt right now. A little off color. Flows are coming up near 450-500. Baetis, worms, small stones. I didn't get any chases on streamers. Too cold and water was too clear.

Just got off the water, definitely quality over quantity today. My brother and I fished for about 6 hours. Takes were few and far between but both of us managed to land fish over 20". I'll take that any day! Seems like the bigger fish faired better through the summer, didn't see any smaller fish at all through the Verdi stretch.

Tight lines!

Just got off the water, definitely quality over quantity today. My brother and I fished for about 6 hours. Takes were few and far between but both of us managed to land fish over 20". I'll take that any day! Seems like the bigger fish faired better through the summer, didn't see any smaller fish at all through the Verdi stretch.

Tight lines!
    Vinny- You experienced exactly what I have been. Not many takes but the fish that I have hooked up have been big/wild/healthy. Its interesting and I know a few really experienced guides talk about this. Winter fish = low quantity bug high quality. Big fish need to eat. Summer fishing often more little guys. But I'm sort of with you on the count side regarding small guys. I usually get a few little guys but I haven't gotten any or seen for that matter. Been my experience on the EW as well. I guess its a matter of evolution from the droughts. These big guys owned the remaining water and probably ate the little ones. Who knows.

Anything on top? Usually come March there starts to be a good BWO hatch lower on the river. I didn't see anything when I was out.

thanks for the update.

There was a decent amount of midge on top around 11 and some sporadic mayflies around mid day but didn't see any fish looking up. Water was COLD. Decent flows below the diversion dam and a lot more up above it. The fish seemed to be holding in the slower deep water. All takes were dredging the bottom with Baetis patterns. Micro mays, S&Ms, two bit hookers in olive.

After staying away most of the last 18 months due to drought, save for a trip or two last winter, I was reunited with the Truckee today. I have to echo everything being stated here. Crowded...on a random Tuesday! Few and far between on the action...BUT...ALL the action was from BIG fish. Above Prosser the river is damn near gin clear...Prosser is making visibility maybe 18-20"...maybe this improves downstream? The clear water was much prettier...but mostly unproductive for me. Down and dirty in the dirty water was the ticket...no streamer love anywhere for me today.

Oh Truckee river...how I have missed thee!

Pray for more rain and snow...

There was a decent amount of midge on top around 11 and some sporadic mayflies around mid day but didn't see any fish looking up. Water was COLD. Decent flows below the diversion dam and a lot more up above it. The fish seemed to be holding in the slower deep water. All takes were dredging the bottom with Baetis patterns. Micro mays, S&Ms, two bit hookers in olive.
    Thanks for the excellent, detailed report.

Slushy snow floes going down the river today.
    I bet we have 14" of fresh at our house!

Headed up that way for work. Was hoping to stop and fish for a few hours. Any recommendations on where I could stop (or not)? Not looking for any secrets... maybe just a spot or two than I could access (two wheel drive). PM's welcome. Thank you.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Quote Originally Posted by SteelieD View Post
    Headed up that way for work. Was hoping to stop and fish for a few hours. Any recommendations on where I could stop (or not)? Not looking for any secrets... maybe just a spot or two than I could access (two wheel drive). PM's welcome. Thank you.
    The river is open from Trout Creek next to Truckee east to the state line. Hwy 80 follows the river. Pull off anywhere you feel like along that hwy stretch and explore. There's a bunch of pulloffs and multiple freeway exits that should all be fine for your vehicle. They all can have nice fishing with these flows.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 02-23-2016 at 02:57 AM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/