Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the "BIG" T

Default the "BIG" T

Was out on the Truckee for a little winter fishing and observation. So nice to see her at 400 cubes again. Slight Tint with some melt this week. Stuck a couple nice rainbows. Definitely a different fishery at these flows again. Think lead. Have fun and get out on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	11661  

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Was out on the Truckee for a little winter fishing and observation. So nice to see her at 400 cubes again. Slight Tint with some melt this week. Stuck a couple nice rainbows. Definitely a different fishery at these flows again. Think lead. Have fun and get out on it.
    Think tin...........or tungsten, not lead.
    Lead is toxic to ALL life forms.......
    Anyone who is aiming to fish the 4th of July is going to wait too long......
    Glad you are getting out now.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-13-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Think tin...........or tungsten, not lead.
    Lead is toxic to ALL life forms.......
    Anyone who is aiming to fish the 4th of July is going to wait too long......
    Glad you are getting out now.

Jim
    Figure of speech. I should have said weight. I haven't used lead in years. I'm sure most are the same.
    Make sure you have enough weight. Weather is nice and warm but water temps are still frigid.
    Obviously keep that in mind.

I'm a little more optimistic. I think we will have good fishing through the summer this year but I'm a glass half full guy. We need a good March and April though.

Ima take it a little further, no dig at CDevine just a PSA, (BTW Cdevine autocorrects to 'codeine' on my computer), let's TRY and leave with all the weights we bring. These drop shooting rigs I see some fly people using these days, where the shot is below the fly and is allowed to slip off in a snag, I'm pretty sure is illegal. Ya gotta have a point fly.

Not trying to harsh mellows here. To get the thread back on track, The river is looking good, and glad you caught fish! I have a view of the river from my office, some bugs coming off yesterday. Little beatis maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by cdevine View Post
    Figure of speech. I should have said weight. I haven't used lead in years. I'm sure most are the same.
    Make sure you have enough weight. Weather is nice and warm but water temps are still frigid.
    Obviously keep that in mind.

I'm a little more optimistic. I think we will have good fishing through the summer this year but I'm a glass half full guy. We need a good March and April though.
    Im with you there. Gotta think positive.
    February is only half way thru and March is generally our wettest month. Lets think "miracle" March.

And it almost odd seeing our river....an actual river, rather than a creek.
    You actually have to get in the river to fish the far seam. Love it!
    And the fish seem even more stoked.

Great looking bow cdevine!

Fish are looking healthy, but man there's a lot of people out on the water for Mid February. Someone said it was ski and skate week so all the kids are on a break.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Devine, I figured you knew.....
    Wasn't trying to be an ass...just searching for clarity...
    Gangster... I've been through 2, 6yr droughts before this one...so I'm a realist in a land of 300 yr mega droughts....
    To think it won't happen again does not compute....
    I'm just saying....fish now.
    And yes, the T's perfect right now.... and is getting less cold every day. Heard a buzz about streamer follows...so it needs to warm a bit.
    Had my hands in with a bug seine today....and didn't recoil in horror/pain.
    No Skwallas yet........
    John....it is illegal to drop shot in CA. but had to read regs closely to find it, and the warden wasn't sure.....
    I have people who have "learned" in UT. ask if I dropped shot, I said "never do", they said "let's book a trip" because they wanted to learn to nymph fish.............
    Some folks just want a fish.....don't matter how......

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-13-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Devine, I figured you knew.....
    Wasn't trying to be an ass...just searching for clarity...
    Gangster... I've been through 2, 6yr droughts before this one...so I'm a realist in a land of 300 yr mega droughts....
    To think it won't happen again does not compute....
    I'm just saying....fish now.
    And yes, the T's perfect right now.... and is getting less cold every day. Heard a buzz about streamer follows...so it needs to warm a bit.
    Had my hands in with a bug seine today....and didn't recoil in horror/pain.
    No Skwallas yet........
    John....it is illegal to drop shot in CA. but had to read regs closely to find it, and the warden wasn't sure.....
    I have people who have "learned" in UT. ask if I dropped shot, I said "never do", they said "let's book a trip" because they wanted to learn to nymph fish.............
    Some folks just want a fish.....don't matter how......

Jim
    Jim its always time to fish. Just a matter of where.
    But yes I agree....its game on now. And just like Dan said....its a zoo out on the water for feb.
    As far as streamers go...i havent had any chases strippn. But swinging ive had a few solid grabs.
    And I like to stay optimistic. Winter has only began. And im also gonna catch a 30" brown this year.

If you hook a 30" Brown, I hope you have a big net........no wrestling allowed....
    It's not melting at night right now, but it is close.
    Give me a shout before you come this way.......

Jim

Sounds like we might get a little weather system in Wed-Thursday. We will take all the liquid gold we can get but March needs to be wet and a normal precip month. This last 2 weeks felt nice but not what we need. It has been very warm the last week and like Jim said probably close to melting.

Agree with Dan and the guys about the crowds. I think there is a general Pent Up Demand for fishing as a result of the last couple of years. Lets face it most people with ethics were not fishing the Truckee last summer. I might be in the minority but I still think its good for the industry and the local economy. Of course people need to be courteous and respectful out there. Have fun and be safe.