Thread: River gunna rise

Default River gunna rise

3500 cfs tomorrow

If you're fishin' you're snaggin'

At the same time, the rest of the month is forecast to be very dry. According to this forecast Sacramento will have received a whopping 0.34" of rain between Feb 1 and Feb 27 (the peak of the rainy season). May be good for the fish now, but what if the taps are shut off the rest of this rainy season...?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sac...016&view=table
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    At the same time, the rest of the month is forecast to be very dry. According to this forecast Sacramento will have received a whopping 0.34" of rain between Feb 1 and Feb 27 (the peak of the rainy season). May be good for the fish now, but what if the taps are shut off the rest of this rainy season...?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sac...016&view=table

I was looking at this to.... Hope something happens but for now at 3500 thats a bit much unless its for a few days to flush the river a bit. I guess we will see.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Is the 3500 for sure? Was going to go out in the morning.

Water is coming in to Folsom Lake at nearly 5,000 cfs and in a few hours, the lake will be at 600,000 acre feet... so it has to happen.

The water is dirty (1 ft visibility) so unless you're dirty-nymphing with multiple hooks and a long leader (like most of the fly guys at Sailor Bar) or long lining with an over-weighted 10ft leader and a bead (like most of the gear guys at the USGS cable) then fishing is pretty moot right now.

Will be posting a thread tonight with pics, but with the current conditions I actually swung for my first steel. Lol must have been luck.

Sweet!
    Swingin' is legit.
    Big water
    Dirty water
    Big fly acrossed it

Looks like greyish brown chocolate milk just below Folsom Dam (you can see from Folsom Lake Crossing road).
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Might be time to get the sled out there instead of wading or bringing the drifter with those flows!

Yah it's a huge responsibility....

DWR has made some very poor decisions in the past. and of course, their politico-economical motivations often anger those of us who place high value on fish management.

I hear a lot of comments even from my buds about how the increased flows are too much too soon.

and of course a lot of folks consider it water 'wasted out to sea'...

This flush is much needed for the river and the delta on so many levels.

4 years of drought has left a lot of sand, mud, silt, decomposed algae and other aquatic plants (not to mention, fishing line and other human-related debris) at the bottom of the river where there should be clean cobbles and gravel.

and the fact that DWR has raised the river incrementally THIS TIME instead of as a high-volume pulse flow like they did in 2011 (same year they later closed the river to fishing in March because of low flows, YIKES!!!)

I guess they at least learned that lesson...