Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Handgun cary with Waders

There's an idea! Combine one of those compressed air horns with a canister of bear spray. Sort of a double barrel repellent. Might be a money maker.

CCW's may be easy to get in some counties, but very difficult in others...I know...used to be part of my job. Local Police Chief's usually defer to the County Sheriff to dole them out. You get one...maybe two firearms that have to be registered to you. Know how to carry...as stated before PRACTICE (with an unloaded gun please)...you are going to go through an FBI fingerprint scan...and probably background investigation of some type and training classes...all this costs money...you will have to qualify and renew your license before it expires...seems to be particularly difficult for politicians...know how to carry and store your weapon...my guys used to liken it to a baby...would you leave your baby in the glove-box??? Are you prepared to KILL someone? How about if you point your gun and they say F-You...who ya gonna call...Ghostbusters??? Had many on and off duty experiences with guns...some not so pleasant...but I'm here to tell the tale...I personally don't carry but may change my mind...I usually fish with a couple other retirees...only one instance when it may have come in handy...ran into a bunch of strung out meth monsters on the upper sac once...saw them before they saw us...turned around and found another place to fish...disgression is the better part of valor...my 2 cents..

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Jim! If you have time to draw down on a snake, you have time to take two steps to the left and simply walk around it Bear spray DOES work on moose. I'll take bear spray over a handgun any day of the week when it comes to the 4 legged species. With spray it's hard to miss, works every time, and so much easier on the ears (but maybe not the eyes if you're down wind).
    Ralph, I went through my kill things for fun, profit, or out of fear stage.......long ago.
    Can't think of a situation I'd shoot a snake, they are too cool, and very necessary for a balanced ecosystem.
    I'm ashamed of my time catching them by hand, on warm evening desert roads...for hat bands....
    Now days, I see the beauty in every living thing.......

I still occasionally take game for dinner....can't seem to give up eating.
    The shot shells can be used for rabbit, squirrel, and birds if you are close.
    Might make a reasonable 1st stinger round, somewhere between not shooting, and killing something....
    I think spray will work on moose, I just don't want to run a test........

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-09-2016 at 04:49 PM.

This has been an interesting thread. Not a firearm owner at the present; but, sure understand the
    deterrent effect in the hands of a qualified and sensible owner. I am known in my community as
    the "Walker;" due to my thrice daily 2-3 miles jaunts. I carry pepper spray and have come close
    to using it several times; always loose dogs in the pre-dawn hours. In closing, I want to add how
    mall operators deter the congregation of rowdy teens. They play classical or similar music over the
    outside speakers.
    Best to all,
    from Sun Diego having some 80-deg days,
    Larry S