Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handgun cary with Waders

I completely agree and would never suggest that fishermen don't have the right to carry if they feel the need. I carry a 12 gauge when I pick huckleberries in August because bears, moose and visiting out-of-state commercial interests have all tried to run me out of my patch of berries. I don't hold a grudge against the four legged competitors but those damn 2 legged ones are usually packing themselves. I guess we do what we have to so we can enjoy life.

By the way, I still fish alone sometimes. Picking berries or cutting wood is always a group activity now and we are all armed or have one close. There's getting to be a lot of bad guys in Idaho too.
    Last edited by Idadon; 02-03-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    How exactly do you differentiate a "self defense" handgun from an "offensive" handgun?

As a veteran, CCW holder and a firearms and shooting instructor I am more than aware of the legal and civil ramifications regarding the use of lethal force. Probably more aware than 95% of the people you are going to talk to about the subject. You're preaching to the quire here. Regardless of what MAY happen in court, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

I don't mean to turn this into a pissing match so Lets bring this back to the original topic of methods of carrying while using waders. Whether it be concealed or exposed.
    No pissing match here.
    FYI I have been in Active Law Enforcement and Instructor for than 14 years. Just giving you and the board the facts. Enjoy!!!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Bit of eye opener for me as non us person living here. Have never thought about carrying a fire arm.

Clearly many fishers do?

Do those that carry when fishing mind sharing how many times they've had to pull a firearm when fishing due to two legged foes?

I'm just trying to determine if I should consider that route and all training would entail.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Not to get off track again but is it so bad out in California that you need to carry a pistol? In Southeastern Idaho and Western Montana I sometimes carry bear spray but it's for Bears not bad people (however I think it would work pretty good on bad guys too). Not sure I would go fishing somewhere I felt threatened by bad guys. Or at least it would be a group activity if I did.
    Not trying to get into a pissing match. Just adding my two cents. As a veteran Law Enforcement and past instructor I see many things that most people don't see. Firearms are tools.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Interesting thread here.
    When I lived in California, I used to worry about getting too close to mining claims. Those guys didn't like people coming around there camps. These days I only really worry about meth heads and mountain lions. I don't pack heat, but do carry a pretty robust wading staff. Never had to use it for that purpose so far.
    patrick

I'm with you pm. Up in Idaho we hear horror stories of guys busting thru the brush and into a POT patch. Usually they just disappear. Don't think it's that bad yet but it still puts you on edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog8404 View Post
    I'm looking for some of your personal carry rigs, either concealed or exposed while wearing waders. I normally carry exposed when wet wading in the summer. But for the colder months, I have yet to find a good, efficient rig/method to carry with my waders. If you're uncomfortable responding to this post, for obvious reasons, I would be more than happy to keep any PM's confidential and between the member and myself ONLY.

Tight Lines,
    Gary
    Going back to the original topic... I suggest :

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/10...chest-holster/

You can buy them off amazon.

Diamond D chest rigs are definitely nice, but I'd go with nylon and kydex since fishing in the wet stuff happens. You can also make it ride higher, just under the height of your waders. If it is inside your waders at stomach level, you aren't going to get to it should the worst happen.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Going back to the original topic... I suggest :

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/10...chest-holster/

You can buy them off amazon.

Diamond D chest rigs are definitely nice, but I'd go with nylon and kydex since fishing in the wet stuff happens. You can also make it ride higher, just under the height of your waders. If it is inside your waders at stomach level, you aren't going to get to it should the worst happen.

-John
    John, that rig is PERFECT! Exactly what I am looking for! The weapon just disappears when you run it under the waders like the dude in the picture. A little steep at 150 bucks but it looks like a solid rig. Thanks for posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Bit of eye opener for me as non us person living here. Have never thought about carrying a fire arm.

Clearly many fishers do?

Do those that carry when fishing mind sharing how many times they've had to pull a firearm when fishing due to two legged foes?

I'm just trying to determine if I should consider that route and all training would entail.
    I carry when I'm fishing in the KMP and the forks of the Smith and places that are remote. I generally don't carry anywhere where I expect to encounter other anglers or I'm not venturing far from the vehicle.

Protection and potentially having to shoot something that has a heartbeat in self defense is not my main motivation for carrying. If I fall and break a leg or ankle, there's no way I'm making it back up one of those 10-15 minutes down/ 20-30 minutes back up access trails or walking potentially miles back to my vehicle.

Yelling and screaming- potential help might be able to vector in on your position from a few hundred yards.

A whistle might double that range.

Dropping the hammer on a few live rounds is going to carry for miles.

I think most people would be amazed at how many lost individuals are found dead less than 1/2 mile from active search grids when the local SAR crew was out looking for them.

I definitely would also advocate carrying a lighter even if you don't smoke or feel you need one for your fishing activities even in the summer. If you find yourself injured somewhere remote, and you have the ability start a fire that produces a lot of smoke, your likelihood of summoning assistance just went up exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post

Clearly many fishers do?

I just turned 60, have lived in CA my entire life and been an avid outdoorsman here since I was a teenager. Backpacking and fishing from SoCal to the Oregon border, usually alone, and have never ever been in a situation that needed a firearm. Nor do I know anyone personally who ever has.
    I refuse to live my life in irrational fear and paranoia.
    Choose as you wish.