Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown Spey Line

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    OK! Well, is that a good thing or bad? Was it a bad design or the one they decided to mass produce? Interesting. I found the back end and it was connected to backing at some time. Kind of cycling between thinking I got a great deal for $.25 to wondering if I wasted a quarter. There was another line in a plastic bag inside the bag with this one. Same kind of printing. It says "WWF9/10/11 tips 6/18/02". This other line has welded loops on both ends but looks really long to be a add-on tip. I thought it was a totally different line.

Think Rio still has a facility here in Idaho Falls but when I called the IF number I reached an office in Washington. Might drive by there today and see if anyone there might know anything about these lines. Thank you guys!
    Impossible to tell, all the prototypes are usually marked X something or other. That line is over a decade old so I doubt anyone there will recall, not to mention they're not intended for the general public.

I took a drive over to the Rio office and to my surprise got a guy that knew exactly what it was. Seems that in 2002 or so they had a lot of the prototypes that were bad design/tapers so at some point they boxed a whole batch of them up and took them to the dump. Evidently somebody went dump-diving and hauled them out and for awhile they were being sold on Craig's List and eBay. Like you said, NOT MEANT FOR THE PUBLIC due to design. Their final statement was that they were glad I only paid $.25 for it.

Might be fun to play with I guess.