Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Folsom Lake rising much faster

I think someone that continually catches and releases fish is doing more harm than someone that hooks 1 or 2 fish and keeps one. I've seen guys hook fish after fish below the hatchery, releasing them all after a good fight. I think more of those fish are dying than some would like to admit. I think that keeping a fish here and there, especially when the hatchery is full of eggs, is the right thing to do. And if you don't want to keep a fish, stay off the river. Just my opinion, but here is some evidence to back up my point about released fish.

"The impact of mortality caused by catch-and-release practices is often underestimated by both anglers and fishery managers. From a review of 118 catch-and-release studies (Appendix 1), which, in total, involved over 120,000 fish, the average mortality associated with catch-and- release angling was 16.2%. Thus, while many anglers may assume that by practising catch-and- release they are having no impact on the fish population, a significant number of released fish may die. Additionally, many anglers will continue to fish after they have caught their limit under the premise that they will release all further fish caught, however they often do not take into consideration the number of fish which will inadvertently be killed as a result of this practice."

Casselman, S. J. 2005. Catch-and-release angling: a review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices. Fish & Wildlife Branch. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Peterborough, Ontario. 26 p.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
    I think someone that continually catches and releases fish is doing more harm than someone that hooks 1 or 2 fish and keeps one. I've seen guys hook fish after fish below the hatchery, releasing them all after a good fight. I think more of those fish are dying than some would like to admit. I think that keeping a fish here and there, especially when the hatchery is full of eggs, is the right thing to do. And if you don't want to keep a fish, stay off the river. Just my opinion, but here is some evidence to back up my point about released fish.

"The impact of mortality caused by catch-and-release practices is often underestimated by both anglers and fishery managers. From a review of 118 catch-and-release studies (Appendix 1), which, in total, involved over 120,000 fish, the average mortality associated with catch-and- release angling was 16.2%. Thus, while many anglers may assume that by practising catch-and- release they are having no impact on the fish population, a significant number of released fish may die. Additionally, many anglers will continue to fish after they have caught their limit under the premise that they will release all further fish caught, however they often do not take into consideration the number of fish which will inadvertently be killed as a result of this practice."

Casselman, S. J. 2005. Catch-and-release angling: a review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices. Fish & Wildlife Branch. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Peterborough, Ontario. 26 p.
    If some of us kept a fish every time we went fishing we would no longer enjoy the taste of fish
    I would also get much fatter by sitting on the couch than going fishing.
    I release just about all of my fish. But have no problem with one keeping a hatchery brat.
    As long as we are not packing the freezer it shouldn't be an issue.
    This year its the lack of water and the ease of catching fish in minuscule runs that have people fired up.
    But its also the internet. There will always be arguments and fingers pointed.

Quote Originally Posted by gangster View Post
    If some of us kept a fish every time we went fishing we would no longer enjoy the taste of fish
    I would also get much fatter by sitting on the couch than going fishing.
    I release just about all of my fish. But have no problem with one keeping a hatchery brat.
    As long as we are not packing the freezer it shouldn't be an issue.
    This year its the lack of water and the ease of catching fish in minuscule runs that have people fired up.
    But its also the internet. There will always be arguments and fingers pointed.
    Well said I fully agree with that.

This thread is funny. Opened it up and expected to be enlightened about the drought, folsom lake releases, etc., and instead I find a big argument. Should have known better to not trust the title of the thread---this is the steelhead forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jake O View Post
    This thread is funny. Opened it up and expected to be enlightened about the drought, folsom lake releases, etc., and instead I find a big argument. Should have known better to not trust the title of the thread---this is the steelhead forum
    I actually think it's been real civil for the type of discussion. It could be real bad. But some nice insight on different views. As for the lake everything I have been reading and watching I guess they will start releasing after the 57% full level is reached which has happened as of Feb 2. We will see how much and when real soon I'm thinking.
    Last edited by winxp_man; 02-03-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Talk about fish not going to bite for a few days!!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jake O View Post
    Anyone up for a discussion on the use of pegged beads?

I live right across the street from the lake and jog there 4-5 times a week. Within the last week it finally went from looking like a river to looking like a lake again. The water actually goes across the whole valley now, without a massive wedge in the middle and a bunch of peninsulas and islands. I drove along the dam over the weekend and did a double take. On the downside, now there are a million more seagulls there crapping all over the place. Maybe a marine biologist can say whether that's good or bad for the lake and ultimately the river and its fish. Another thing: the view from the lake of the snowcaps has been impressive this year -- much better than anything I remember from last year.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    According to the great Jim Teeny, "You stone 'em, you own 'em." He throws rocks in the water (or at least he used to) to find the steelhead (by watching them move), and claims that they'll still hit a fly even after this occurs. I ran into him once on the Green. Here was this mutant just pulling in big rainbows hand over fist at the put-in. He was swinging one of his Teeny Nymphs in some shallow water and I couldn't believe how many fish he was hauling in. This was during a cicada hatch. The he introduced himself and gave us each a few of his flies (I think I read somewhere he tried to patent them). A consummate self-promoter. I tried them a few times on the A and actually had some success. Which gives me an idea...

Below is a picture of a Teeny Nymph.
    Attachment 11591
    Hi, Troutsource:

I happen to have been friends with Jim for over 20 years, ever since I owned a fly shop in Auburn. And that story, (actually a quote from a book he wrote once), I have always taken issue with. Still Jim's motivations are different than this sick individual I am referring to.

The heinous act I am referring to was taking several POUND cobbles with the intent of killing these fish. Even more heinous was the fact that he was teaching his KID to do the same. What kind of person teaches the next generation how to break the law and poach?

BTW, I don't think a DEED Steelie will hit a fly again....

Grant Fraser

"Steelhead fishing with the fly is not about hooking lots of fish; it's all about the take and the show. Everything else is just icing on the cake." - Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Anyone up for a discussion on the use of pegged beads?
    Sure lol. I would never use one but I see no problem with them especially if your will to throw a bobber with anything under it. Or an egg sucking leech, or swing anything with an orange spot on it mimicking an egg.