Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Folsom Lake rising much faster

Default Folsom Lake rising much faster

Nearly 39,000 CFS coming in to the lake now.

At this rate, I am sure DWR will be releasing 1000 if not 1500 in to the AR by next weekend.

Let's hope it continues to snow in the mountains and rain in the valleys.

Thank God we are getting some snow and rain.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

They may be releasing 10,000 CFS if they have to release Folsom water.

Finally El nino is coming thru. But it is warm for sure.
    YOu guys are seeing Folsom lake rise so much because it has been raining like cats and dogs up here in the mountains.
    It didnt turn to snow until early this morning. The amount of rain we have been getting is crazy. Pretty sad, but better than nada.
    THe snow has been melting like mad causing rivers all around to jump up in flows! The Truckee and East carsons both jumped up to over 2000cfs. A nice needed flush.

Lets hope it continues to stay wet. It would be nice if it stayed cold so the snow pack will stick around throughout the whole summer. Needed for us and our fishy friends.

I hope the American is ramped up as well so fuckers can quit sight fishing for em. Just not right IMO with the low flows we have had.

I hope the American is ramped up as well so fuckers can quit sight fishing for em. Just not right IMO with the low flows we have had.
    A-MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Big water eliminates:

sight fishermen
    tule dippers
    flip and rippers
    liners
    snaggers
    and those who wade out and stand on the spawning beds and hook the same fish over and over in various fins and other bodily parts

Fish the water, not the fish.
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 01-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Apparently 59% is the magic number for Folsom Lake capacity/retention this time of year. Once the lake is at 60%, water will be released to accommodate future, spring runoff. I'd say with one more night of rain in the foothills and the likely snow melt which will ensue most of next week, the odds are strong that the lake will reach 60% of capacity in a week or less.

Hopefully, DWR won't opt for a foolishly-high pulse flow followed by a drastic reduction back down to 800 cfs as they have been known to do in the past....

One day of 10,000cfs followed by a steady 1000-1500cfs flow would be optimal.

Time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    A-MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Big water eliminates:

sight fishermen
    tule dippers
    flip and rippers
    liners
    snaggers
    and those who wade out and stand on the spawning beds and hook the same fish over and over in various fins and other bodily parts

Fish the water, not the fish.
    I may be lacking in knowledge but I have never understood why everyone gets all upset at the people fishing them off of beds. I would understand if these weren't hatchery fish. I personally only fish the lower America maybe twice a year and only swing flies down lower in the river for fresh chrome . But still don't understand the outrage over some people fishing the beds for hatchery fish? Please inform me. Thanks.

They are not 100% hatchery fish for one.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    They are not 100% hatchery fish for one.
    Yeah but most are or are descends of hatchery fish that decided to spawn out side of the hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuba rainbow View Post
    I may be lacking in knowledge but I have never understood why everyone gets all upset at the people fishing them off of beds. I would understand if these weren't hatchery fish. I personally only fish the lower America maybe twice a year and only swing flies down lower in the river for fresh chrome . But still don't understand the outrage over some people fishing the beds for hatchery fish? Please inform me. Thanks.
    It shows no etiquette, no class, no common descency a lack of respect for nature and takes no skill.
    Why not just pick up a spin rod with a spark plug and treble hook?